Auto Upgrade

atsaunier

Im not sure if this has been suggested already, but i thought it be cool if in the future ipb can have a link in the admin section that we can click to upgrade the software similer to Wordpress. See in wordpress if theres an upgrade avalible ussr can click "upgrade" and it will download the files and upgrade the software autimaticaly for you without the need of us having to download and upload and running the upgrade script.

anyone else like this idea?

Sorry this doesn't grab me. The difference with Wordpress and other apps is they are loaded on your computer. IPB is loaded on a remote server and this no doubt creates a number of issues. I find the current method pretty straight forward and probably much more reliable than any any automated system.

3DKiwi

[quote name='3DKiwi' date='16 September 2009 - 05:27 AM' timestamp='1253075266' post='1856427']
Sorry this doesn't grab me. The difference with Wordpress and other apps is they are loaded on your computer. IPB is loaded on a remote server and this no doubt creates a number of issues. I find the current method pretty straight forward and probably much more reliable than any any automated system.

3DKiwi

Wordpress is actually a blog software, so it is on a server and not on your computer.

But I have to agree that uploading the files yourself is easy and more reliable than some automated update thing could ever be.

Disagree entirely with the auto-update. It's just too much of a security risk for IPB to have write access to executable files. Think about it. What happens if someone finds a security hole in IPB? They then have the ability to upload files to the disk of the server in writeable locations! How about if someone manages to exploit IPS' server itself (it's happened before)? Well, they can then deploy an "upgrade" to IPB which deploys malware to tens of thousands of web servers across the globe!

Down with auto-update.

Archived