Modders & Skinners

Andy Rixon

Hey,

Just an idea for the people at IPS, for those who submit modifications or skins to IPS Resources, I think there should be a user group called IP.Board Modders & IP.Board Skinners, and anyone that has a couple of mods & skins on the IPS Resources website should get put to one of them groups, to show the members of the community who actually contributes to the IP.Board Community :D

If they did something like this, then some folks would complain that they should be included in the group. Should a person who created one really big nice mod be in the group? Or should a person who created 10 small mods that don't really work be in the group? It's too hard to come up with reliable guidelines that they can set as the group requirement, and IPS has enough on their plate as it is.

Yeah I know, its just an idea, the idea was that everyone who has submitted a mod or skin to the IPS Resources website should be noticed on here aswell, not nessesarly have special permissions, but have a special group so members can so who actually contribute to to the community and make other peoples websites much more customiable than just the standalone product.

This has been brought up before, and it was something we discussed, but as Michael said it would cause too many issues with certain members etc. etc. I am not sure about the little profile field, it would be easier to do seeing the IP.Board 3 framework is very easy to hook into. It's something we will probably discuss, but no promises here or there.

As someone who has only just converted to IPB - the biggest issue that I see is that there are far too many small developer type sites - and not one decent sized site fulfilling all mod requests.

I guess the resources site is aiming to do this - but is only really a store.

The problem is that the developer side of things is weakened by the large number of sites, rather than strengthened,

Maybe it is because there are more mods being charged for with IPB than other software, I do not know - but it is a shame that there is no one central location.

Maybe when I am more used to the setup, I might thing differently - but as someone who used to do a fair bit of coding everything seems diluted.

[quote name='isdoo' date='15 September 2009 - 12:40 PM' timestamp='1253032804' post='1856300']
As someone who has only just converted to IPB - the biggest issue that I see is that there are far too many small developer type sites - and not one decent sized site fulfilling all mod requests.

I guess the resources site is aiming to do this - but is only really a store.

The problem is that the developer side of things is weakened by the large number of sites, rather than strengthened,

Maybe it is because there are more mods being charged for with IPB than other software, I do not know - but it is a shame that there is no one central location.

Maybe when I am more used to the setup, I might thing differently - but as someone who used to do a fair bit of coding everything seems diluted.

I think you're right; unfortunately, I don't see the problem being remedied without the resources site being opened to more general access [for developers AND users]. And apparently that's out of the question.

Archived