Warn System

Brett B

I remember a Brandon saying a few months ago that he had customized the warn system for TWOP and in the future he'd like to expand upon what is offered by default in IPB. IMO the Warn System should be the primary medium for discipline for my community. In its current state, I feel as though it is fairly useless -- essentially a notepad that each user may or may not choose to view. What are some of your suggestions for the warn system?

How about when a warning is issued, forcing the user to acknowledge it before proceeding with any further activity on the board? Sure, you could send the user a PM via the warn panel, however that is fairly cumbersome and not connected to the actual warning whatsoever.

I don't remember how else Brandon said he customized TWOP's warn system, however I'd curious to hear what improvements others think could be made to the warn system.

I think forcing them to acknowledge the warning before they can use the forum again is a fantastic idea. One thing that I could really do with is the option of having a feature like the warn notes but are hidden from the user (only mods/admin can see).

TWOP = televisionwithoutpity.com

As for the suggestions, yes, that's one of the things we did with the warn system on their site. As I recall there were also neutral warns, and the interface was overhauled. When you banned someone from warn panel they could see the reason (instead of a generic ban message). When they went to post, if they had an unacknowledged warn they had to acknowledge it (but weren't bugged with acknowledging it in the mean time). I liked the changes overall once they were done.

Archived