Subscription Manager - Suggestion - Free Trial Package

chuckf

I would like Subscription Manager enhanced so I can offer free trial packages to my community.

I could simply set the amount to $0 to signal a free package type but I suggest supporting it specifically by adding a "Add Free Package" menu item under Manage Packages because I'd like it tracked by IP address to help ensure that each user can only try the "free trial" once even if they create a new account.

I'd like an admin override to allow the same IP address to subscribe to the free trail package more than once to handle the scenarios where several people in the same household want to try it or where someone didn't get a chance to use the free trial (for whatever real-life reason).

[quote name='isdoo' date='25 August 2009 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1251236421' post='1848929']
As mentioned in another thread, the current issue with anything priced at 0.00 is that the user is still sent to the payment page - when of course there is nothing to pay.

Why does this have to be a bad thing?
Why not make the package $0.01, its as good as free but handles the transaction through paypal, this can help ensure people don't signup to the trial multiple times unless they have multiple paypal accounts (which would require multiple credit/debit cards)...

How about...

For packages that are $0.00, skip the part where you select a payment method, otherwise, treat it exactly the same.

Be able to limit how many times/how often someone can purchase the same package. X times in Y period (X = 0 is unlimited, Y = 0 is infinite). Time would make sure that the person can't purchase the same package more than X times in the specified period. Should default to unlimited (which would make the time period ignored). Good when you want to limit a package to once a year or something and the package is only supposed to be good for a few months of usage.

A option to specifically allow a trial of a package (and how long that trial should last.

[quote name='gizzabit' date='26 August 2009 - 12:46 AM' timestamp='1251243985' post='1848951']
Why does this have to be a bad thing?
Why not make the package $0.01, its as good as free but handles the transaction through paypal, this can help ensure people don't signup to the trial multiple times unless they have multiple paypal accounts (which would require multiple credit/debit cards)...

Mainly because for me it would not be a trial. it would be a method for them to sign up to a group - I could charge a cent/penny - but then I would break my word on that my forums would always remain free. This would force a charge for viewing forums obtained via the signing up to the group.

Archived