Suggestion: allow bulk email to all users / all users in a group

b0x

I have a free membership forum and state right up front that if you want to be on our forum, you must accept emails from admin from time to time. If you don't want the emails, then delete your membership with us. How do I override the option to email my members if they have that shut off or delete them from my forum? It's an either/or in my opinion with my site. If I'm going to give them tons of free resources, the least they can do is accept my email once a week from the board admin to current activities going on.

If you want to truly do that, then just skin edit out the ability to refuse email from admin, then run an SQL query to make sure everyone is set to receive it. If you need details on how to do it, you'll need to ask in the P2P forums.

I prefer to be able to send something to all members, as a method of making sure email addresses are still valid, but I can understand IPS's reason for removing it as a feature.

• 3 years later...

At the end of the day, if you are intent, you can modify it back into the code. The code is viewable source. I'd be surprised, really, if a mod isn't released to do it eventually. However it is not an option we wish to promote out of the box.

Anyone know if a mod exists? Or how to edit the code? I come across a few instances where I need to email all members, and they know they are getting the email, but they may have unchecked admin emails.

I can give an example. A member uses Nexus to purchase a certain product that in the details says "You will be notified of the status via email on 12/31" but you are not able to email them. You go to bulk emails, and use the Nexus filter for the product, but it uses the global setting of admin emails on/off. Then these members complain they never got the email.

I do have a product like this, that requires and email notification.

And security emails. If your site is breached and you need to send an email to all members.

Well, there are uses for the override, so just wondering if it's possible. Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Because WE are also a hosting provider, and our own customers on our servers were getting entire servers blacklisted.

At the end of the day, if you are intent, you can modify it back into the code. The code is viewable source. I'd be surprised, really, if a mod isn't released to do it eventually. However it is not an option we wish to promote out of the box.

Can't you remove the function from the hosted versions of IPB only? Seems because you also offer hosted versions, we suffer. There are many reasons admins need to email everybody, including security issues. I am not signed up for the newsletter here, but I do receive security emails. So this is a function available to you on your own software, correct? Would be great to be added in 4.0. Thanks

How would you feel if the administrator of a site you were on dis-obeyed your wishes to no receive e-mails from administrators?

As infrequently as you'd need to do this, a custom script would be better suited.

I, personally, do not want admins to have a 'casual' button that overrides user settings. You know young admins will ALWAYS use it.

• 9 months later...

How would you feel if the administrator of a site you were on dis-obeyed your wishes to no receive e-mails from administrators?

​Well I have this: "Send me news and information" UNticked, and I still receive security emails from IPS, as I should. But we don't have this ability with our IPS.

It seems unfair they strip it because they also host sites. Why not just strip it from the hosted sites?

I would like to see this added or as a mod, I have had the rare case where I have needed it. Thanks

Archived