IP.Board Loses Traffic Rank on Alexa

Kfir

I realized that members's profiles are ranked separately from the IP.Board on Alexa traffic ranking system.
Now I wonder, if profiles are considered as a separate site, it somehow damages the website's traffic rank (which is important for business, and for any others websites).
How could this be changed?

[quote name='Kfir' date='30 July 2009 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1248944517' post='1835479']
I realized that members's profiles are ranked separately from the IP.Board on Alexa traffic ranking system.
Now I wonder, if profiles are considered as a separate site, it somehow damages the website's traffic rank (which is important for business, and for any others websites).
How could this be changed?

Seems a little strange if that's the case, can anybody confirm this?

• Management

Alexa rely heavily on users having the plug-in for their browser so I would be incredibly wary of any statistics that it generates. In any case I have no idea why it would consider IP.Board profiles separate from the rest of IP.Board. They quite clearly use the same mark-up, design and URL as the rest of the board.

[quote name='Matt' date='31 July 2009 - 12:59 PM' timestamp='1249037975' post='1835957']
Alexa rely heavily on users having the plug-in for their browser so I would be incredibly wary of any statistics that it generates. In any case I have no idea why it would consider IP.Board profiles separate from the rest of IP.Board. They quite clearly use the same mark-up, design and URL as the rest of the board.

They changed their methodology, now only small part is collected from user plug-ins rest is collected from different sources. When they changed that most of sites are kicked out of first 100 000.
And regarding OP question I didn't understand what he is asking.

[quote name='bfarber' date='30 July 2009 - 10:40 AM' timestamp='1248964807' post='1835587']
I've never heard of this, but then again I couldn't care less what Alexa thinks about a site.

Yeah, it's strange to hear that profiles aren't counted towards Alexa's ranking, not sure if it's true or just an SEO myth. Alexa ranks a site mainly based on traffic entering a website or its homepage, but not based on linkbacks, meta info or other means. I think they use a different algorithm to rank websites than Google.

[quote name='Spiritwarrior' date='31 July 2009 - 02:01 PM' timestamp='1249063288' post='1836164']
I think they use a different algorithm to rank websites than Google.

I am positive they do. It would seem to me that giving away their methodology for how they rank websites would be a very bad move on Google's part, so it's safe to assume anyone else who ranks websites probably has their own way of doing it. :P

[quote name='Spiritwarrior' date='31 July 2009 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1249063288' post='1836164']
Yeah, it's strange to hear that profiles aren't counted towards Alexa's ranking, not sure if it's true or just an SEO myth. Alexa ranks a site mainly based on traffic entering a website or its homepage, but not based on linkbacks, meta info or other means. I think they use a different algorithm to rank websites than Google.

Alexa isn't a search engine. Alexa has no way to directly measure the traffic any given website has. Their methodology is to take very sparse data they get from their toolbar (although someone here said they are using other sources and I'd like to know what they are) and create heavily biased ranking from that data. It is for the most part useless.

Only a ranking system like Quantcast that has actual traffic numbers has any legitimacy, but they rely on individual websites to install their tracking code. Alexa is not magic and they don't know actual traffic numbers for websites.

Archived