Multiple SQL databases

Wolfie

My hosting company limits my SQL database to 100mb each and I'm sure some other hosting companies do the same thing. So the idea I had is to allow the admin to make use of multiple databases. The idea would be to branch off large database hogs into another database such as the skins. Currently I can only imagine having a main database and then an alternate for the skins, but I imagine that it could be done for other things as well.

If your out growing how much you can use, Id say look for a new host 100mb really isn't much.

What would be nice and could help some slow sites is if you can place different forum sections on other servers.

For example http://forums.invisionpower.com/index
We have Invision Power Services, Inc., IPS Resources and Community Forums
Now say two of these sections are very popular, so much that our current server cant handle all the sql querys. Rather then dropping more money on RAM or a faster server you purchase a little server for half the price and place the "Community Forums" on it.
If down the road you start to stress out that server rather then shutting down everything you close the community forums down, move it to a new server, update your settings, and turn it back on.
The rest of your site functions just fine and your able to upgrade with out a major loss in traffic.

[quote name='bfarber' date='30 July 2009 - 10:39 AM' timestamp='1248964768' post='1835586']
This isn't something likely we'd endeavor to accommodate. I'd recommend looking into a new hosting plan/host in reality. Eventually, you can simply outgrow a hosting plan.

True. Thought I'd toss it out there anyway, in case the idea seems like a good one later on.

Archived