Manage ACP Restrictions

Discorev

Once an administrator account has been created or even when it is being created if you wish to manage their restrictions you are given all admin options with blank checkboxes...

when creating the account wouldn't be better to have them all checked so you may uncheck those you do not wish them to have... and then also suppy uncheck / check all options?

I'm sure there are others who'll agree with me on this one... and perhaps those who don't but its my feedback so :P

I've mentioned the idea of being able to hit a "check all" and "uncheck all" feature. That way you could activate all the options in a tab and then take off what you don't want them to have. Likewise if you are removing access (editing) you can uncheck all quickly. Would also be nice if checking a section would check all the options for that section. Like under the system tab, if access is given to the Apps & Modules module, then all related settings for that area should get checked (or unchecked if that module is unchecked). Under the Members tab, if access is given to the Members module, I would think they should be given checked access to all the functions under that module, so you only have to uncheck what you don't want them to have. On the flip side, if you check one of the options and the module isn't active, then it should become active and it shouldn't auto-fill the other settings (that way if you want to give them access to only a few items, you just check the few to give them and they get that module automatically).

Would also be nice if adding an admin group (that has restrictions) when the member is part of another admin group (that also has restrictions) would combine the allowed access instead of combining the restrictions themselves. >_<

[quote name='Andy D' date='12 July 2009 - 07:11 AM' timestamp='1247397072' post='1824797']
What I would like to see is permission masks for the Admin CP, so you can have easily have different settings for different groups of admin :)

You can do that by means of restricting the groups themselves. I was planning to make it so that as I gave an admin more responsibility/trust, I would add another secondary group to their name to open up more functions to them. However, it works in reverse, where you would have to set up groups that REMOVE/DENY access for a function/set and apply it to them before hand and then remove the things you want to grant them access to.

Be nice if it worked where it would give access instead of denying it.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='12 July 2009 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1247412739' post='1824882']
You can do that by means of restricting the groups themselves. I was planning to make it so that as I gave an admin more responsibility/trust, I would add another secondary group to their name to open up more functions to them. However, it works in reverse, where you would have to set up groups that REMOVE/DENY access for a function/set and apply it to them before hand and then remove the things you want to grant them access to.

Be nice if it worked where it would give access instead of denying it.

Yes I am aware you can do that by groups, what I am meaning is having different permission masks similiar to the forum permissions :)

[quote name='Andy D' date='12 July 2009 - 11:36 AM' timestamp='1247412999' post='1824883']
Yes I am aware you can do that by groups, what I am meaning is having different permission masks similiar to the forum permissions :)

You mean like I'm trying to do with the secondary groups? That would be nice. Doubt it'll make it into the 3.0.x series. But definitely for that if it will allow me to set a group to Admin (but very limited access) and then grant them permissions based on the masks I apply to them.

Could even have some pre-defined masks (to get you started), such as member editing, forum editing, emoticon/bbcode and skin/language.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='12 July 2009 - 04:39 PM' timestamp='1247413177' post='1824885']
You mean like I'm trying to do with the secondary groups? That would be nice. Doubt it'll make it into the 3.0.x series. But definitely for that if it will allow me to set a group to Admin (but very limited access) and then grant them permissions based on the masks I apply to them.

I think we are on the same lines wink.gif I doubt it would make it for 3.0.x release too but look forward to seeing it in the future if IPS think it is worthwhile thumbsup.png

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='12 July 2009 - 04:39 PM' timestamp='1247413177' post='1824885']
Could even have some pre-defined masks (to get you started), such as member editing, forum editing, emoticon/bbcode and skin/language.

[quote name='Andy D' date='12 July 2009 - 11:42 AM' timestamp='1247413352' post='1824888']
That would definately be a great help in setting up access thumbsup.png

Most definitely, especially with the member editing mask already forbidding things like adding/editing/deleting admin level access.

Would also be nice if it were separate from the forums permission masks. :D Could be added to member groups (although adding the masks wouldn't grant ACP access, only permissions if the person is given ACP access).

• 1 month later...

Archived