The badwords (My idea)

Connor T

Currently in 3.0.0 and 2.3.6 you can set a user group to "Can bypass badword filters?"

So that allows you to type whatever you want. However then other users can see your language. I've had a word pack of backwards uploaded since the beginning and its just now bothering me, as I sometimes cannot express myself within the language. I can post it, and everyone sees it which doesn't look good at times as an admin.

Would a setting of "Can see/post badwords" be better?

So those usergroups can post it and see it, but the usergroups that aren't selected don't. So basically that group still gets the basic "******" in place for words posted by themselves, and other words posted by those usergroups that have permission to post badwords. This would allow the little guys on my forum to stay away from our occasional language, but not interrupt anything for us.

I don't know anything about it on the coding side, I just wanted some opinions on this idea.

The current implementation replaces the badwords as the post is saved depending on whether the poster can post them or not. Your suggestion would require the posts to be checked for badwords 'on the fly' for every post. It may be feasible now in v3.0, because I guess there is parsing going on at display time, but it never was really possible before.

I would like to see the option of having the entire filter on a user opt-out basis, now that the framework of 3.0 supports such a thing [at least, I would assume, given BBcode permissions]. Whether it happens or not, it is something I plan to at least attempt myself.

For the record, the content-caching feature of IPB3 would make this very challenging. If an admin viewed the post and it was cached, for instance (which is exactly what would happen since you get redirected to your post after making it) it would be cached with the bad word in place.

I'm not sure I see much of a need for such a feature personally. I mean, if you posted the bad word, you intended to post it right? Really, the setting is meant to prevent some new user from signing up for your forum and cussing up a storm right away.

Archived