My opinion on 3.0

-Calypso-

[quote name='-Calypso-' date='23 May 2009 - 04:30 AM' timestamp='1243067420' post='1804565']
Okay, let's start with the good things that I like about it:

1. Looks great!
2. Google indexing :)

Now the things that I don't like:

1. File structure = confusing

I been looking for something for over an hour now and everywhere I turn all I see is "sources", "admin", "modules_admin" and "modules_public". Everything looks the same, same directory/file names no matter what you want to do.

It's simply new is all. Once you get used to it, it makes a lot of sense, and allows applications to be complete segregated and sectioned off from the rest of the code. Add a folder and you're done. Delete a folder and files for the app are gone. A lot cleaner than having to upload your files to 10 different folders (and then trying to remember what to remove).

[quote name='-Calypso-' date='23 May 2009 - 04:30 AM' timestamp='1243067420' post='1804565']
2. Data structure = where is it?

In 2.3.x, the main post view data was loaded in the ipsclass.php file, I have no clue where it is now, been round and round these /dirs/ for over an hour and can not find "userInfoPane" to save my life.

userInfoPane is in skin_global. You can include one skin template directly from another skin template now, so you won't see this called in the source files pretty much at all. Instead you'll see this in skin templates

Which means the skin template will output the results from skin_global -> userInfoPane (passing $params to it) wherever you see that tag.

[quote name='-Calypso-' date='23 May 2009 - 04:30 AM' timestamp='1243067420' post='1804565'] I have browsed through the articles here and have yet to see one with the most basic of info on how member data is loaded, outputs and such. Don't take it out of context, I am sure there is a lot of great info in the articles but it looks like steps 1 & 2 were skipping and someone moved directly to steps 3 and beyond. Took me awhile to figure out the how to create a new app, very confusing. With 2.3.x, the minimum requirements were components_public/file.php, lang_file.php and skin_file. There are no examples to a basic app with group permissions. I don't want to have to go back to 2.1.x days where the perms were added to the cp_skin_groups.php/action_admin but as of now it looks like the only viable way to do it. Maybe I'm not feeling it because I am so use to v2.3.x. I see that there are a select few who are "getting it" and that's great (especially for IPS customers), those select few appear to be in one of the upper groups here which is making me think that they received better instructions or something, the rest of us who are not in the "clique" are pretty much s.o.l.

A lot of this is covered in articles on the resource site.

Loading a member: http://resources.invisionpower.com/index.php?appcomponent=cms&module=articles&article=7533

Outputting content I don't think I've written an article on, though I'm sure we can do so.

Extending group configuration: http://resources.invisionpower.com/index.php?appcomponent=cms&module=articles&article=7529

TONS of various information: http://resources.invisionpower.com/index.php?appcomponent=cms&module=articles&article=7536
That article is primarily related to upgrading an application, yes. However, it goes into detail about the file structure, what files can do what, and so on. It's very useful so long as you are familiar with how to do things in 2.3.

[quote name='No1 1000' date='24 May 2009 - 04:52 PM' timestamp='1243198373' post='1804859']
Sorry bud, they're not going to hit the June release at this point [nor do they have plans to]. Disregarding further fixes, the skin contest isn't even closing until June 1st, then there's voting and IPB choosing their picks as well, all which has to be done before 3.0 Final being released.

Consider the hundred-some bugs reported and fixed [or to-be-fixed] in RC1, and we have an inevitable RC2 coming still too.

Optimistically, second or third week of June.

We said we were shooting for a June release, and to my knowledge we still are. We expect an RC2 and at this time that is the only further RC release I am aware of in the works.

[quote name='Jmiz9000' date='24 May 2009 - 07:23 PM' timestamp='1243207405' post='1804899']
We were told a December release date, but i think that was obviously too little time, since its a complete rewrite. I dont think the wait is really worth that much, but ipb3 is really coming out to be going well.

The thing was, we were shooting for December originally. But then we had so much great feedback with the preview site we were determined not to ignore it simply for the sake of rushing the release out. We wanted to incorporate as much as possible that made sense. The spam controls were greatly enhanced. Facebook Connect was added. The personal conversations changed a lot. Friendly URLs changed a lot and were made extensible. And we won't talk about the skin changes. A ton was changed due to feedback we received, and while it has delayed our original release plans, I think in the long run everyone will agree that IPB as a product is better because of the changes.

[quote name='envonge' date='25 May 2009 - 07:04 AM' timestamp='1243249473' post='1805012']
It would be nice if ipb could release the subscription manager before the final so that it could actually be tested before putting it into a "production" release.

The subscription manager is nearing completion from my understanding. It will definitely be out for testing before IPB3 goes final.

{parse include="userInfoPane" group="global" params="$params"}

Archived