Performance Mode Indicator - Suggestion

John Swallow

I've done a quick search and can't see anything ...

One of the things I want to encourage my admins to think about is using Performance Mode - my site usually runs very nicely, but occasionally we see huge spikes in demand, and to my eyes that would be the ideal time to turn it on.

However, once it's on - unless you're looking for it (or the things that are missing) you don't know it's turned on. Would it be possible to include something (or even tell me how to skin that in), maybe on the Mod Tools top line to say that "Performance Mode is enabled"? That way it's obvious to us.

It does indicate it on the performance mode page, but I can see your point. I believe the status is stored in the caches somewhere, so it would be possible to load it on the front end easy enough and show an indicator (it would probably be a 10 second skin edit in all reality...)

$caches = $this->registry->getCache('performanceCache'); </php> <if test="count($caches)"> Performance mode is enabled! </if>

Something like that. :)

<php>

If it's not displayed out-of-box, you should really consider adding this as default. Users not knowing you are running in performance mode can get a little pissed if a lot of the futures they use suddenly is disabled.
Should add a message to the latest news tab or something: "The site is currently running in performance mode to handle all the traffic. This means that some futures is temporarily disabled and/or changed to allow the site to run more smoothly."

[quote name='aurorawx' date='18 May 2009 - 03:12 PM' timestamp='1242673924' post='1803194']
So much for the hook idea -- just realized hooks are disabled during Performance Mode (which I don't really think is necessary). I can always just publish the skin edits as an article I suppose.

You could make a 'performance mode is not enabled' hook... hah. And then when you turn performance mode on, it would disappear.

I guess it would be debatable as to its actual usefulness, though.

Archived