minimum password length

envonge

Why is the minimum password length only 3 characters? I see no option to change this in 3.0.0 RC1 and 2.3.6 just allows any number of characters even a single character. :rolleyes:

I hope I'm just overlooking the option to change this because it would be sad on so many levels if IPB really set it up like this.

[quote name='envonge' date='14 May 2009 - 05:07 PM' timestamp='1242335275' post='1801829']
...2.3.6 just allows any number of characters even a single character. :rolleyes:
No, it didn't. 2.3.6 also required at least three characters for the password.

[quote name='Μichael' date='15 May 2009 - 04:12 PM' timestamp='1242400330' post='1802137']
No, it didn't. 2.3.6 also required at least three characters for the password.

Every 2.3.6 board I've tried allows 1 character passwords even a blank space.

Maybe you can change your password after the fact to be just one character or a blank space, but you certainly cannot register an account that way. I know the code for the registration system pretty well, and I verified that it does check the password length there, and I have also tried to register at a 2.3.6 board with a single character password, and was told "The password section is incomplete".

EDIT: Looking at the code now for changing a password, I do see that yes, you can change your password after the fact to a single character. So you're part right, I guess. Although why anyone would do that is beyond me.

I am not of the opinion that one should enforce THEIR personal password systems upon others. I hate some of the sites I visit because you must have x number of chars and at least x must be letters or numbers and you must have x number of special characters - quite frankly it's my account and I should be the one concerned with whether it gets hacked or not (so long as I do not have some sort of elevated access).

That said, as I said before, it wouldn't be difficult to add a setting for this.

Archived