Focus in personal conversation page

Michael

I'd report this as a bug, but I'm sure the current design is intentional, I just want to discuss it and see what others think.

When you go into your personal conversations page either through clicking the 'read' button in the new message notification at the top of the page, or by clicking the link in your member dropdown, the focus is automatically set to the posting textarea. I can see why this is done, so that you can just start writing, but a side effect of this is that the navigation keys on your keyboard (Home, End, Page Up, Page Down) no longer will scroll the page; you have to click outside of the textarea to be able to use those again. I've been caught by this more than once, and it's a little annoying.

Is it just something we'll have to get used to?

The Nav keys stopped working for me a few times when using the Forum Markers to mark the forum as read. <_< I use the Nav keys on my keyboard a lot because I'm on a laptop and don't use a mouse. (Try playing WoW With a touchpad. :() I totally agree that maybe that should not be the focus. It catches me off guard a lot.

[quote name='Morrigan' date='11 May 2009 - 11:35 AM' timestamp='1242056109' post='1800952']
I use the Nav keys on my keyboard a lot because I'm on a laptop and don't use a mouse. (Try playing WoW With a touchpad. :( )

Same here, although I never had a problem playing WoW with the touchpad. I stopped playing around level 55 or so though. :lol:

Could we maybe try forcing the focus to a link on the page? I know I can still use nav keys when a button is active.

[quote name='Μichael' date='11 May 2009 - 11:38 AM' timestamp='1242056326' post='1800953']
Same here, although I never had a problem playing WoW with the touchpad. I stopped playing around level 55 or so though. :lol:

It's not so bad but PvP is a pain in the butt. I have a lot higher characters then that. <_<

I hate it when developers place the focus on something automatically. Especially on login pages, where the browser already know my username, and I tab my way down to the password field and start typing. Then finding out it placed the focus back on the username, which now contains my password. Really fun if you're in a public place.

If they really have to set the focus on something, do it immediately after the form is printed, instead of waiting for dom:loaded.

Archived