How to archive a forum's knowledge?

Guest MaNiAc LRSC

Hello,

i believe that many forum admins need to build a FAQ, in order to avoid the same questions being asked again and again.

IPB has already built in most features needed for a good FAQ(categories inside categories etc.), but you need some new features.
The most important things would be:

Prio A:
- Posts, who can be edited by anybody (nobody wants to write a FAQ on his own)
- Post-history control system, to restore old versions (abuse etc)

Prio B:
- an automatically generated directory of contents like in mediawiki (long articles must be structured)

Prio C:
- Other options to format the article (footer etc)

My forum has 2.000.000 post and 20.000 members and exists since 2001.

I just need a way to integrate a FAQ to get rid of these question which are asked again and again in order to keep the forum clean.
One person alone isn't able to write such a FAQ, the community has to do this. My members are willing to write articles in teamwork, but for this the above mentioned features are needed.

Btw: Thanks for your helpful answer :blink:

My forum has 2.000.000 post and 20.000 members and exists since 2001.

I just need a way to integrate a FAQ to get rid of these question which are asked again and again in order to keep the forum clean.

One person alone isn't able to write such a FAQ, the community has to do this. My members are willing to write articles in teamwork, but for this the above mentioned features are needed.

Btw: Thanks for your helpful answer :blink:

his answer wasn't helpful it was rude, you have a legitimate suggestion but it will not happen because the first part of his answer was correct, shoulda left it there woulda been so much nicer :P. What you do need to download the mod called ipbwiki and i also think the articles system (ipb uses in the resources section) is also available. Both these mods would suit your needs.

The Problem with Mediewiki is, that is has a completely different UI than the IPB has and 99,99% of the users (including me) don't have a clue about all the mediawiki tags etc.
I already run a mediawiki trying to build a FAQ, but nearly nobody writes sth because it's so hard to use for beginners.

@Jaggi: What's this articles system?
Do you have a link for me? Thanks!

No, a FAQ should be managed by the admin in my opinion, it shouldn't be basically a wiki.

If you still want something user editable though, there's an integration of IPB and Mediawiki called Ipb Wiki, I'd suggest looking into it, as it does allow BBcode in the wiki, and remember, you can always use it as a knowledge database on your forum's subject, AND as a FAQ. ;)

The Problem with Mediewiki is, that is has a completely different UI than the IPB has and 99,99% of the users (including me) don't have a clue about all the mediawiki tags etc.

I already run a mediawiki trying to build a FAQ, but nearly nobody writes sth because it's so hard to use for beginners.

@Jaggi: What's this articles system?

Do you have a link for me? Thanks!

There is a mod for IPB that integrates Media Wiki with the board software. With this mod Media Wiki is able to use the BB Codedes of the board. But the skin integration is very poor, as far I can see. Also it's really oversized for an simple FQA System.

No, a FAQ should be managed by the admin in my opinion, it shouldn't be basically a wiki.

I think this should be the decision of the admin. The should be an option in the acp that allows the admin to prevent users from editing the FQA, to give special users the right to edit the FQA and to give all (registered) users the right to edit the FQA.

Archived