Server Move

Guest THL

Whats the best way to make a troublefree move from my existing host to the new server....do I alter some of the settings within the config.php file to point the forum on the new server to the existing database until the dns transfer is complete??

I just did this for someone recently....In order to save all files , databses and email accounts from former host/server I do a complete backup of the contents from within cpannel....then once new host is set up I upload the neccesary files, and import the database(s) . Everything else can be set up after the site is working....the config_global needs to be updated to show your new servers directory path. B)

I just did this for someone recently....In order to save all files , databses and email accounts from former host/server I do a complete backup of the contents from within cpannel....then once new host is set up I upload the neccesary files, and import the database(s) . Everything else can be set up after the site is working....the config_global needs to be updated to show your new servers directory path. B)

A good feature of CPanel is that you can create a backup, and send the backup via FTP direct to your new server, so you don't need to download then upload.

Once you did the config_global edits like ^ says, you need to start up the board and do some path edits in AdminCP too.

A good feature of CPanel is that you can create a backup, and send the backup via FTP direct to your new server, so you don't need to download then upload.

Once you did the config_global edits like ^ says, you need to start up the board and do some path edits in AdminCP too.

Was not aware of the Cpanel FTP Backup <-- It works great. Thank you very much.

Once the compressed file is on the new server what are the steps to uncompress to restore the folder structure and I will most likey want to load the forum one extra directory deep instead of the home folder and understand I will have to do the ACP and config file edits or is it more indepth than that since attachments would be affected ??

\htdocs\foldername\forum

Archived