Suggestion: Portal plug-in

Guest BryanH

I think the Portal plug-in by bfarber, which adds a ton of great functionality to the portal, should be included in the IPB core. I mean, why not? It's an awesome, unique feature and a great alternative to the main forum index.

Plus, as of now, the plug-in is outdated and doesn't function out-of-the-box with IPB 2.3.

No, I agree. The current built-in portal is good. But the additional functionality that comes with the plug-in makes it a great feature.

Afterall, bfarber works for IPS and he's the author of the plug-in. Shouldn't be terribly difficult to integrate it to the IPB core. I think this fits with IPS' vision for IPB, just like the new social-networking-esque profile pages. It's redefining the message board.

I do have to agree the current portal has some very nice advanced features for adding your own things via PHP modules....

But for beginners, and "quick fixes", it really sucks. The layout just seems very odd when you first set it up, and to make it look "good" you have to do quite a bit of template work... It needs to be thought out a bit more...

Archived