Pinned topics in portal

Guest .Timmy

This should be fixed. I think it's stupid to have pinned topics in the portal all the time if you are displaying the topics in the portal. Doesn't make any sense when the whole point of having recent discussions on the portal...

For anyone who is looking for this fix, open ./sources/sql/mysql_queries.php and find this:

In function portal_get_monster_<censored>( $a )

ORDER BY t.pinned DESC, t.start_date DESC

And replace with:

ORDER BY t.start_date DESC

This should be fixed. I think it's stupid to have pinned topics in the portal all the time if you are displaying the topics in the portal. Doesn't make any sense when the whole point of having

recent discussions

on the portal...

Rather new feature for this (Do you want to show pinned topics in Portal? YES/NO).

First topic (pinned) in my portal is Welcome to my Forums. It's still first in portal and that is what I want.

Um... we actually use this to keep certain topics on our portal. Not really a bug....

People who use the portal as a way to display recent topics in multiple forums find it annoying to see only pinned topics show up on the portal instead of the actual recent topics.

Welcome to Brandon's nightmare.

Two people with two opposite strategies towards a feature.. And me pointing it out. Too bad you can't wake up from this one.

• 5 months later...

It seems like the solution to the nightmare would be a YES/NO setting. It's easy to change for the administrator, if they decide they want the other option. The portal control panel only has 8 settings, so the panel is not overcrowded. And it saves the administrator from having to make that code change every time an upgrade overwrites the now customized file.

I would like to respectfully cast my vote behind making this a setting in the control panel on portal settings.

Archived