Recording IP address issues

Guest ilk604

I ban a lot of users on my site. I only ban by IP address through .htaccess.

However, I noticed that every time a user posts, it shows the IP address when they were registered, rather than the current IP when they are posting.

Their registration IP stays with the account throughout the life of their forum activity.

Which makes it quite difficult for me to ban by IP address since the IP they post is not always the same as their registration IP.

Is there any way to fix it so that each of the user's posts shows the IP of where they are posting from?

The IP address displayed in posts is the one they used when posting.

The IP address showed for their account in the ACP is the one they used when registering. So if you grab the one shown in the post it should always be the one they used when submitting that post.

I don't believe this is the case.

I check the IP of the post with the registration IP, both are the same. I ban that post/registration IP through .htaccess.

But they are still able to post.

Also, I went on vacation to Cambodia and made a test post from there (through a test account I made). Came back to the States, checked my IP of the post made in Cambodia. It still shows the IP address of my registration in the US.

I don't believe this is the case.

I check the IP of the post with the registration IP, both are the same. I ban that post/registration IP through .htaccess.

But they are still able to post.

Also, I went on vacation to Cambodia and made a test post from there (through a test account I made). Came back to the States, checked my IP of the post made in Cambodia. It still shows the IP address of my registration in the US.

Well I don't think IPB can help you with .htaccess difficulties, maybe you're doing something wrong? Put in your own IP and see if you get blocked, if not, you're doing something wrong, if so they may be using a web proxy or some such. I know however it shows the correct IPs, I've used them before for other purposes. Unless it's a recent bug...

IP bans are weak anyway and are the easiest to get around (it takes less clicks for me to load up a proxy than re-sign up). Not to mention if you have a lot of users that are from one location (AOL[!!! AOL Network == Garbage !!!]/School Campus/Work) you can end up banning a bunch of users at once.

Edit:
Tested for the bug on my site, used a web proxy, I'm getting different IPs, maybe you made a modification?

Archived