Purchase of IPB 1.3.1?

Guest Kieran.

I know that it was taken off of the download markets a long time ago now, but I am very used to the Admin CP, aswell as everything else (Index Page, etc.), So I wondered if it is possible to purchase a version (legally of course) as I am so familiar. Obviously it would be the IPB 1.3.1 Final as that is the most secure version, but, I would like to try purchase a copy nonetheless.

If it is not available for purchase, is it available for legal download anywhere else? I remember a friend of mine saying there was a website with legal rights to distribute it for free (download).

~Pavhead.

Invision Power Services no longer offers v1.3.1 for sale. And it's illegal for any other sites to distribute the copies of the software, the only legal place to download software from them is from their official website. The site that you are referring to that is hosting the versions of IPB, you can report via the Piracy Tracker so IPS is aware of it, and they will take care of it from there.

There are still plenty of 1.3 boards out there and a few services that uses a script to setup multiple forums as a service. As far as I recall 1.3 (not sure about 1.3.1) was the last version available for free, so it had a gazillion users, most of which are now gone because of lack of interest, it got hacked (lots of security holes..) or for other reasons.

The reason to code it is obvious, but since then IPB has evolved a lot and as they no longer support 1.3 no one will be available to distribute it either. 1.3 served its purpose, but has been put to sleep for more evolved versions.

If you liked 1.3 you will love 2.3 :)

I don't think you will have any problems getting used to the 2.3 setup once you look it over, its basicly the same, just a bit more expanded :)
1.3 is however a nightmare due to multiple security holes and I, like many other webhosts, have banned them from my servers because of this problem.

Is it because you feel you would get lost in the more advanced setup, or do you feel worried about getting things setup properly because of the expanded number of choices?

Hi,

As others have said, we no longer offer the 1.x series for download since the 2.x series has superseded it, and unfortunately it cannot be downloaded anywhere else legally. This is normal for software companies - when a new version comes out, they take the place of older versions.

Don't be worried about the changes between 1.x and 2.3. Although things do look different, it'll still be familiar to you. We have plenty of documentation to guide you through the software, and as a license holder you'll be able to submit tickets to our support team if you do get stuck on anything (or ask fellow administrators for help at IPSBeyond). I hope you'll consider it :)

I understand your feelings :)
I am on the other side and feeling almost claustrofobic visiting a 1.3 ACP because I am used having all these options to tinker with :)

I wish I could help you, but I am not allowed to distribute the files unless we can get permission from IPB to let me send you the files.

Should you get your hands on the file I strongly suggest activating PHPSUEXEC if you have not done so already and make sure the server is secured propely before installing things. I also suggest looking for the instructions on how to plug the security holes that has been written.

Should you choose to go with the more advance 2.3 version you should be aware that you have a strong community at ipsbeyond that will help you if you need to, including me :)

Edit: Rikky types faster than me ;)

I understand your feelings :)

I am on the other side and feeling almost claustrofobic visiting a 1.3 ACP because I am used having all these options to tinker with :)

I wish I could help you, but I am not allowed to distribute the files uless we can get permission from IPB to let me send you the files.

Should you get your hands on the file I strongly suggest activating PHPSUEXEC if you have not done so already and make sure the server is secured propely before installing things. I also suggest looking for the instructions on how to plug the security holes that has been written.

Should you choose to go with the more advance 2.3 version you should be aware that you have a strong community at ipsbeyond that will help you if you need to, including me :)

You have IPB 1.3 then?

You mentioned you'd want 1.3.1 because it is the most secure. Do NOT use secure and 1.3.1 in the same sentence...there are more vulnerabilities than you have fingers and toes. You have no reason to not use 2.3, unless you are complaining about paying...which you are not. The same principles are there and everything, just a new interface. You should have problem, 2.3 has zero vulnerabilities for it that are known and out in the wild, and is a great product.

You mentioned you'd want 1.3.1 because it is the most secure. Do NOT use secure and 1.3.1 in the same sentence...there are more vulnerabilities than you have fingers and toes. You have no reason to not use 2.3, unless you are complaining about paying...which you are not. The same principles are there and everything, just a new interface. You should have problem, 2.3 has zero vulnerabilities for it that are known and out in the wild, and is a great product.

The forum index interface is probably my largest complaint though...

So that EVERYTHING is exactly the same?

Because of some added features, I can't say for sure that everything will stay the same, but I know I can get it pretty darn close to the old skin. I'm sure others could do the same.

Archived