How often is IPB 2.3 going to be updated?

Guest rm5b.2bs

Hi,

I just went into my client center and downloaded a copy of 2.3 incase there were changes since I downloaded it when it first came out.
I noticed the zip file contained 15th June, from which I assume the php files were updated on the 15th.

I plan to upgrade and install numerous modifications which requires extensive editing of the source files.

So question is, are the files going to be frequently updated? As if it is, I might hold off from upgrading.

the zip has been edited a little since it first came out but nothing substantial just a setting or two were changed, if any bug fixes are done then it'll be released as another version (e.g. 2.3.1) so the zip shouldn't really change anymore.

Bugs always appear some where... It's impossible to have something bug less... I'm pretty sure if something serious is reported, or allot of bugs are found there would be a 2.3.1, but should not be big code changes, with a modified board you can simply do the code editing that's all.
Cheers,
BLaZe

Bugs always appear some where... It's impossible to have something bug less... I'm pretty sure if something serious is reported, or allot of bugs are found there would be a 2.3.1, but should not be big code changes, with a modified board you can simply do the code editing that's all.
Cheers,
BLaZe

Nothing is impossible! :whistle:

You are right that it depends on the number of bugs. :ermm:

I must say I'm a little dubious about using 2.3, I downloaded 2 days ago the 16th, and today after a test install (which BTW went fine) I find a notice in admin cp informing me of patches??? (5 to be exact) Surely the source files can just as easily be updated in the zip file before customers get it.

I think it's a cheek to expect users to apply patches before we can even use the software!

Bob

This is a double-edged sword and we're doing our best to accommodate everyone. Unfortunately, we will always fall into a trap where *someone* does not like how we are handling things, but we are doing the best we can.

There are bugs in any given release. Some are more serious than others, but it's inevitable in any release of any software that some bug(s) will exist.

What we did with this release was two fold. We used to release "silent updates" from time to time, where we would patch the main zip so that new customers would have patches immediately upon installation of the software. However this upset a lot of people because they would not be aware the zip was updated, and would not know if they had the latest code or not. We obviously cannot patch the zip and release an announcement that it has been updated for each bug we fix on the other hand - it would very quickly degenerate into total chaos and confusion.

For some of the "bigger" bugs from 2.3.0 I released quick patches in the bug tracker when I fixed the issue so that those who are comfortable patching their software can take immediate advantage of the fixes. That way they do not have to wait for the next release. We also decided to add these quick patches to our knowledgebase to give them some more attention (this way users wouldn't feel the patches were hidden and hard to find). On the other hand, as you noted, if you just upgraded to 2.3.0 we already have fixes for some of the bugs reported.

We will indeed release a 2.3.1 quite soon to fix up the issues we've already patched, however we have decided internally not to "patch" issues in the main zip without releasing a full update. It leads to confusion, and most of our customers were not happy with that process when we did it.

Archived