I want a wiki

Guest SecondSight

A wiki by IPS ?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't even the Ineo devs admit that it might have started out as a wiki but ended up as an article manager? Wikis have to be fully hypertexual and use wiki makup. If it uses bbcode, it's not a wiki. If pages can't freely link to each other, it's not a wiki. It's self-consistent linking that makes it a wiki, not the fact that it's content anyone can edit.

Here's a cool wiki about wikis

http://www.communitywiki.org/en/FrontPage

Ineo is a Article Management Component not a Wiki.

Don't even the Ineo devs admit that it might have started out as a wiki but ended up as an article manager? Wikis have to be fully hypertexual and use wiki makup. If it uses bbcode, it's not a wiki. If pages can't freely link to each other, it's not a wiki. It's self-consistent linking that makes it a wiki, not the fact that it's content anyone can edit.

We don't sell Ineo as Wiki. :)

Initially, that was our plan, hence the IP.Wiki name - but we didn't like how it developed as we got the base functionality in place. We wanted to make something that felt like it was an IPB component, and a lot of what the average Wiki offers doesn't gel that well with the existing IPB functionality. As an example of that, replacing BBCode with wiki markup seemed like coding for codings sake, IPB has a perfectly good markup system for formatting already, that the users know and use - why force them to learn something new?

Intra-article linking was one of those things that struck us the moment we slapped the "Final" stamp on 1.0, in a big "Doh! How could we forget that?" moment. Having looked at it since, it wouldnt have worked very well with 1.0's structure anyway, as articles didn't have any sort of unique textual key.

In the end, we decided we'd be happier not pidgeonholing it as a wiki, and instead decided to incorporate the functionality we and those who tested it with us, wanted. We kept some of the good things, like collaborative editing, revision management, etc. - Just dropped other things that we didn't think worked.

Wow, that was a confusing page! Is that a wiki example, I don't get it? (of course I didn't read it, either.. it scared me!)

In my opinion, wiki's are pretty confusing. I like the results when I Google something and it comes up in Wikipedia, but I can't navigate through Wikipedia in a sensible manner. I like the clean easy layout of article managers.

I'm one of them unluckily, wish I could still get a refund. <_<

Why the hell did I buy INEO. It was a massive waist their are like 4 other mods out their that do the same thing for free. Anyways I think it would be one of those Bug Tracker ideas, where we go with it as a community project. But since mod authors create there own, its not a big deal.

Archived