Stop PM SPAM

Guest GreedyCapitalist

My board has had several PM spam broadcasts recently. Last night, a member registered and sent 540 emails every to a single member at a time every few minutes. I looked through the board options, but I don't see any way to stop or detect this other than by disabling PM's entirely. Presumably, he used a script of some kind, so we can expect much more of this. The spammers skip the moderators and admins, so we don't find out until someone complains.

Well, it's hard to physically prevent someone from sending spam via PMs, but couldn't you just have all new members go into a user group that can't send PMs? Generally, most spammers post few, if any, messages if they intend to spam via PM.

Last night, a member registered and sent 540 emails

Do you mean PMs or emails? For emails, there's a user group setting that looks like this:

Can email members from the board? Yes/No . Only allow X emails in a 24hr period ...and only allow 1 email every Y minutes.

For PMs, you can only disable entirely. There should of course have been a similar kind of setting to the one there is for emails in order to combat spam.

Archived