Suggestion: Remove EMail Content from language files

Guest Mark

Currently, all the content that goes out in EMails is stored in the language files.

I think this should be moved to the database, and editable via a tool in the ACP - many sites will want to customise the emails the board sends out, especially sites who share log ins (you might want to remind users they can log into x with the same details for example) it seems stupid that they have to go into the language files to do this.

I also think that the content of the emails are too large to really be considered language bits.

They are editiable via a tool in the ACP, all language files are.

I knew someone would bring that up ;)

I haven't used that tool since 2.1 stages but there was a bug that made it work very poorly. For example, if you editted the register.php file via the ACP, it meant all language bits dissapeared from the registration page. I never editted the email file.

I know it can be editted that way, but generally, it seems odd to keep the text in language files - the settings page would seem much better and not hard to do (just edit $lang['bit'] with a variable set when adding the settings)

should be either translatable. if you'll host a mulitlingual board, you need more than one translation... if there's a move to the database, have a look at the language system of typo3...

Multilingual boards do not work. The board rules page for example, can only be in one language.

I don't see the use of this personally. All emails are stored in the language file "lang_email_content.php". In order to support multiple languages on a board, they must be stored in a language file.

What advantage is there to moving it to the database? As mentioned, language files are already editable through the ACP - I do not know of any bugs with the system currently.

I knew someone would bring that up ;)

I haven't used that tool since 2.1 stages but there was a bug that made it work very poorly. For example, if you editted the register.php file via the ACP, it meant all language bits dissapeared from the registration page. I never editted the email file.

Bugs should be reported to the bug tracker so they can be fixed. As someone else did this, there are no (known) bugs editing language files in 2.2

I know it can be editted that way, but generally, it seems odd to keep the text in language files - the settings page would seem much better and not hard to do (just edit $lang['bit'] with a variable set when adding the settings)

It seems odd to keep text in language files? :blink: What else would you put there? If you move the email content to the database (without totally revamping the language system in place presently) you can only have emails in one language - this is counter-intuitive considering the efforts to abstract language in IPB so that you can have multi-lingual boards.

Multilingual boards do not work. The board rules page for example, can only be in one language.

They work - you just can't have multiple copies of various data (i.e. forum descriptions) - specifically data stored in the database mainly (what you are proposing to do). That doesn't mean you can't have a "German" subforum or a "Japanese" subforum using language files for your international visitors.

I don't see this ever happening, at least until the language system is revamped (IF it is revamped).

OK, well I suppose I'd just tell you what I thought. Obviously the majority disagree.

Bugs should be reported to the bug tracker so they can be fixed. As someone else did this, there are no (known) bugs editing language files in 2.2

I reported it about a year ago so I don't remember how it turned out, and I haven't tested it since, I assume it was fixed.

It seems odd to keep

text

in

language files

? :blink: What else would you put there? If you move the email content to the database (without totally revamping the language system in place presently) you can only have emails in one language - this is counter-intuitive considering the efforts to abstract language in IPB so that you can have multi-lingual boards.

No, text that is never editted goes in language files.
Text that is editted to suit the needs of each board (like the forum rules, and email content) should go in the settings.

They work - you just can't have multiple copies of various data (i.e. forum descriptions) - specifically data stored in the database mainly (what you are proposing to do). That doesn't mean you can't have a "German" subforum or a "Japanese" subforum using language files for your international visitors.

Well my point was many things don't work in multiple language. You could always have multiple copies of the email in different languages.

My global point was that some how the email content should be easier to edit, as it seems something that admins, if the option was made easilly accessible, would like to edit.

They are editiable via a tool in the ACP, all language files are.

If you mean when I send out a mass e-mail, thats not being able to edit things.

My global point was that

some how

the email content should be easier to edit, as it seems something that admins, if the option was made easilly accessible, would like to edit.

I agree, somethings I want to add standard so they appear in the bottom of the messages, but I don't feel like tinkering with the lang_ file so I just manually put it in, it would be more of a convience.

My global point was that

some how

the email content should be easier to edit, as it seems something that admins, if the option was made easilly accessible, would like to edit.

The only thing I can imagine is that there can be a link "View/Change Email Content" and have it link to the language section for editing the lang_email_content.php file.

As for the point that things that don't need to be changed should be in language files... the majority of the users don't change emails. But some do. Some also change the text on top where it says "Log In", or where it says "View New Posts". But those obviously don't need to be their own database settings as well.

Archived