Registration Requires a Referral

Guernica

Is there a feature or is it possible to make it so people can not register without putting in the name of someone who referred them, or only being able to register through a referral link? I have the referral mod installed, but I am not sure if you can integrate it with the registration forum/process.

Thanks.
Guernica...

Funnily enough I am trying to do something along similar lines - I have a question/post on IPS Beyond....

I do think something like this should/could be implemented as there are quite a few 'invitation only' boards about.

In the simplest form it could simply be a 'configurable' link to the registration page, so instead of having ....forum/index.php?act=Reg it could be ....forum/index.php?act=x5g7s3. I would guess that the 'standard' link to the registration page is known by every hacker/cracker/script kiddie and bot on the planet.

This type of link, if implemented, would only be known by existing members (link act= xxx linked to the member id maybe?) or only accessable from a 'secure' location.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Yeah, kinda like that possibly. ^^

But I thought this was a feature on IPB...or at least some other boards. I've seen it on boards before but I am not sure. It might have been a vbulletin forum. O well, thanks for the replies everyone. If you find a mod for me please let me know, I have been looking.

I did a mod for someone like this during 2.0. What I did was I did something along the lines of what Google did with gmail: In order to register you have to be emailed an invitation and each member has a certain amount of invitations, etc..

And a secret password which the refferer can give to the invited member maybe.

Or a one-time link / referral code that can only be used for a single registration. That would be safer, at least...

And perhaps the referral link could be automatically sent by the board to an email address the user enters. Similar to how Gmail invites work.

Yeah, kinda like that possibly. ^^

But I thought this was a feature on IPB...or at least some other boards. I've seen it on boards before but I am not sure. It might have been a vbulletin forum. O well, thanks for the replies everyone. If you find a mod for me please let me know, I have been looking.

vBulletin does have it.

I did a mod for someone like this during 2.0. What I did was I did something along the lines of what Google did with gmail: In order to register you have to be emailed an invitation and each member has a certain amount of invitations, etc..

That would be a good variation too :)

Or a one-time link / referral code that can only be used for a single registration. That would be safer, at least...

And perhaps the referral link could be automatically sent by the board to an email address the user enters. Similar to how Gmail invites work.

That was what I was leaning towards.

Anyway, maybe in the user CP you could send a email to someone with a random refferal code. Then when they register you have to enter that code.

Also in the ACP the amount of invites per day, amount of cumulative invites and other settings could be added.

Yes that one linked to is for 2.1. And any 2.1 mod can be quite easily converted to 2.2.

I personally can't get enough people on my sites with public being allowed to join, let alone if I cut it off to invitation-only. lol I suck at advertising. I care much more about the useer than any admins whose sites I ahve gone to, but when nobody is posting,m obviously nobody else will. sigh.

• 5 years later...

Archived