Feature Request: Secure RSS

Guest alpine

You don't do anything to use the board over SSL. Simply drop it into a Web Root, and have Apache (or IIS, or Lighttpd, or whatever) bind that site as an SSL site. No IPB configuration needed. So, I'm not sure why you want them to add an option to IPB that by it's very nature can't do anything about it.

I have many hidden forums - an obvious example would be the administrators forum. If I were to enable RSS on that forum, any member could potentially read posts. If it checked my user account, and checked the permissions, then it would make the RSS feature usable.

I have many hidden forums - an obvious example would be the administrators forum. If I were to enable RSS on that forum, any member could potentially read posts. If it checked my user account, and checked the permissions, then it would make the RSS feature usable.

That's easy to say, but how would a feed reader check your user account? A feed reader isn't going to have access to your cookies, for example...

That's easy to say, but how would a feed reader check your user account? A feed reader isn't going to have access to your cookies, for example...

Yep, as I posted earlier (and as Matt has pointed out), a link with some sort of password hash or key would work. I forgot that Google calendar does it as well - activeCollab, a project management system, also uses this method.

I had used a similar method with 2.1 and IPBSDK to produce secure feeds. Would be great if it became a feature though :).

An idea I have is to create a random hash:

md5( uniqid( microtime() ) )

And save one for every member. That would be the "rss access key" that would automatically be appended to the end of the rss url. If the rss key is invalid or one isn't provided it would just assume it's a guest. If it is valid load up the forum permissions and apply them. Then in AdminCP you could reset an rss access key per member if you needed to.

Archived