2.2.0 Upgrades are Overloading Server

Guest chefelf

Hello,

I initialized my upgarde from 2.1.7 to 2.2.0 this morning and part-way through the process my server stopped responding. After contacting tech support they were able to reboot the server. I thought perhaps it was an error on their part so I tried to continue the upgrade by manually running the queries one by one. Part way through the queries the server began overloading again and was timing out.

So I'm partially through my upgrade and my site is completely down.

Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have a dumb question.

What do you consider to be a "large database"? Mine is just a little over 100MB... and during the upgrade to 2.1.7, it was just around 90MB and ran just fine. So I'm wondering when I should start to consider command-line upgrades.

Just an update: We're trying to restore to a DB backup from Dec 5. As of now the forum is not functional as it's half way through the upgrade.

I think listing the hardware specs will be helpful.

Any idea about possibly implementing some way of fixing this to be able to upgrade? As it stands now I'm pretty much unable to upgrade to the new software.

I have a dumb question.

What do you consider to be a "large database"? Mine is just a little over 100MB... and during the upgrade to 2.1.7, it was just around 90MB and ran just fine. So I'm wondering when I should start to consider command-line upgrades.

Depends largely on your host. If you're on shared, there's an increased likelihood of the upgrade process failing with large[r] databases. But if you're on dedicated or semi-dedicated, it's a different story.

Also, aside from the command line, you can just alter the appropriate php.ini values to give your server more room to breathe, if you have the ability to do so (i.e. are probably not on shared). memory_limit, max_execution_time, etc. Sometimes I'm so lazy I fire off a request to my host for them to change the variables for me and restart Apache while I'm unpacking and uploading the files :ph34r:

Archived