Security Code Confirmation 2.2 rc3

Guest Amy T

also can it only be used on the admin cp?

This was a new install today and I got my self locked out so I did find the options to turn this off and set them all to 0 or disable but I think it would be nice not to have that on a fresh install and allow members to turn it on later.

In the password recovery is this option able to be turned off?

If not is it possible to add this as a feature?

Why would you want to turn off the security code confirmation?

also can the to many attempts to log in locked out be turned off?

I keep locking my self out of my own board.

Yes, you can turn it off.

also can it only be used on the admin cp?

This was a new install today and I got my self locked out so I did find the options to turn this off and set them all to 0 or disable but I think it would be nice not to have that on a fresh install and allow members to turn it on later.

No, you cannot set it for the ACP only.

Why would you want to turn off the security code confirmation?

Cuz I locked my self out, and I really do not want to put my members though that head ache if they forgot their password.
I can understand it is to stop hackers but darn you made it to hard.

I'm not seeing how the security code confirmation (or lack of) can cause your locking out issues.

no no you misunderstand me.
I do not like those code things they are a pain to figure out what the blank they say.
arrgg I hate sites that use that when registering they are so annoying.
I will not have that on my site.

Tools & Settings -> Security something and then something about security images near the top. Turning it off is a big mistake because you will eventually get spamed by bots. :lol:. Not only are they easy to read, though, it takes like one-two seconds to complete.

Its not easy for me. Any way I did turn it off and I would rather have 20 spam posts a day then have that on, thats just me.
I did turn on user and admin validation which I think is better.

EDIT: The reason I can not read it is I have dyslexia, its so unfair for people like me.
It takes me several tries to get it right. Its taken me up to 100 times before, which is why I am so against it.

I would warm you, Amy, that you will want to install some anti-spam modifications if you cannot use the CAPTCHA for any reason - or I can assure you that you will be receiving a lot more than 20 spam bots a day. The easier your registration is, the more spam friendly lists it gets on. There's a few on IPSB that you might want to try. For the most part, they will not make it harder for your members, but most spam bots have trouble with them.

Also, it would be more difficult, but I guess you could use the new more intuitive form of CAPTCHA (you'd have to write a mod) where instead of repeating the code, you're asked to type in what you see in a picture in the box (so you see an orange in it, and you have to type orange in the text box). You could also set up an audio thing too. I don't know how, sorry, but what you'd do is have a link below the CAPTCHA for a wave file which is merged from a person saying each of the letters of the CAPTCHA.

And on a lighter note, consider yourself lucky. Even I, who doesn't have any reading impediments, can't get a Yahoo CAPTCHA first go. Those are just stupid. At least IPB's are easy for the majority.

I would warm you, Amy, that you will want to install some anti-spam modifications if you cannot use the CAPTCHA for any reason - or I can assure you that you will be receiving a lot more than 20 spam bots a day. The easier your registration is, the more spam friendly lists it gets on. There's a few on IPSB that you might want to try. For the most part, they will not make it harder for your members, but most spam bots have trouble with them.

Also, it would be more difficult, but I guess you could use the new more intuitive form of CAPTCHA (you'd have to write a mod) where instead of repeating the code, you're asked to type in what you see in a picture in the box (so you see an orange in it, and you have to type orange in the text box). You could also set up an audio thing too. I don't know how, sorry, but what you'd do is have a link below the CAPTCHA for a wave file which is merged from a person saying each of the letters of the CAPTCHA.

And on a lighter note, consider yourself lucky. Even

I

, who doesn't have any reading impediments, can't get a Yahoo CAPTCHA first go. Those are just stupid. At least IPB's are easy for the majority.

I like the idea of using a pic like orange or apple or some thing.

Brandon, I'd probably never get to register on an IPB forum ever again if you did that. The whole picture ID thing would probably be best made as a modification due to the infrequent need for it, but it would be neat if IPB could just ahead of the competition and do the whole audio download thing of the CAPTCHA like MSN does for those that can't read it.

Archived