Musts for 3.0!

Guest Strange_Will

So I've been co-administrating a vBulletin board (Thats where I got the MCP idea), and they have a few minor things that we should have in 3.0 I'd feel.

1. Moderator Control Panel
    It's like the admin control panel, but lists threads/posts/calendar events that need approval, reported threads, posting announcements (instead of crammed away in the "my controls" section), and banning users (this should be on a moderator permission level basis though, I want my mods to be able to ban people, other people don't...).

It's a lot more useful then the moderator controls thrown all over the site.
  2. Automatic backups
    While you could download mods to do this, the ones I've found have been flaky and bug filled... mostly shutting down my forums and not turning them on again! It's something that should be built in.
  3. Multiple {option} and optional {option}
    It would be nice to be able to write one piece of BBCode that would allow for an option and a lack thereof, and also additional variables to be put in.
  4. Build Calendar events from XML
    It would be nice to be able to create a list of holidays and distribute/download/upload them to your forum.

But you have to LOOK for new posts that need moderation. :P

There should at least be some central area for moderation tools, they are kind of scattered. If anything make them easier and more logical to get to.

Unless you've removed it in your skin, the board shows a queued post icon on the board index whenever a forum has posts pending moderation.

• Management

1. Moderator Control Panel

It's like the admin control panel, but lists threads/posts/calendar events that need approval, reported threads, posting announcements (instead of crammed away in the "my controls" section), and banning users (this should be on a moderator permission level basis though, I want my mods to be able to ban people, other people don't...).

As mentioned previously, we removed a separate control panel and moved all the items inline. As I've said in another topic, you wouldn't want to log into another control panel in Windows to delete files, would you? Jelsoft are already considering following our lead by doing the same in a later version.

It's a lot more useful then the moderator controls thrown all over the site.

I disagree. When you're reading a topic and you see that there's a post that needs approving, it's simply a case of hitting the checkbox and choosing "Approve Post" from the drop down menu. That has to beat logging into a separate control panel throughout the day to check for queued posts.

2. Automatic backups

While you could download mods to do this, the ones I've found have been flaky and bug filled... mostly shutting down my forums and not turning them on again! It's something that should be built in.

This is best left to the many various server tools available than an emulation through PHP. It's just not practical as PHP imposes strict limits on memory usage and execution time, both of which are needed in buckets for a decent backup. My advice would be to write a small perl script to tar up your sources and run a mysql dump and add it to your cron tab for a daily run.

3. Multiple {option} and optional {option}

It would be nice to be able to write one piece of BBCode that would allow for an option and a lack thereof, and also additional variables to be put in.

This is already a feature.

4. Build Calendar events from XML

It would be nice to be able to create a list of holidays and distribute/download/upload them to your forum.

This is something we're considering for a future version.

This is already a feature.

Unless thats 2.2, it isn't in 2.1, it gives me massive problems when I try to make the {option} optional, you have to make 2 bbcodes, which conflict with each other, so you have to give them different names... it's a mess.

Well I was thinking the MCP would be integrated like the My Controls without needing additional logins and such.

Archived