Anti spam Measures

Guest R0CKY

Spammers are now targeting web forums more than ever - this is their new strategy.

I know there is a 3rd party spam add on, but I don't think it is very useful. To stop spammers getting a foothold and getting that solitary spma post in, it is quite simple, and I really hope IPB read this and consider it - as this is becoming a real chore for moderators.

If the FIRST post made by a NEW member contains <user defined> amount of http:www links then make the post invisible pending moderator approval, and place that member on indefinate suspension pending Admin approval.

Please PLEASE incorporate this.

*EXCELLENT* suggestion. I would put it simplier - if a user only has X posts and has only been a member X days, they can't post http:// links at all.

I would disagree. It's hardly out of the ordinary for people to include links in posts, be it their 10,000th or their first, whereas spammers nearly always include five or more.

Also, if they can't post at all, how is the admin to sift through things that have been trapped in the net, so to speak? This seems useful to me.

I know there is a 3rd party spam add on, but I don't think it is very useful. To stop spammers getting a foothold and getting that solitary spma post in, it is quite simple, and I really hope IPB read this and consider it - as this is becoming a real chore for moderators.

If the FIRST post made by a NEW member contains <user defined> amount of http:www links then make the post invisible pending moderator approval, and place that member on indefinate suspension pending Admin approval.

If you're referring to this mod, that's exactly what the mod does...

I would disagree. It's hardly out of the ordinary for people to include links in posts, be it their 10,000th or their first, whereas spammers nearly always include five or more.

Also, if they can't post at all, how is the admin to sift through things that have been trapped in the net, so to speak? This seems useful to me.

Guess you attract industrial strength ones. :shifty: Most spammers I've seen only post one link.

The problem with the above suggestion as proposed is with a very minor tweak in code, spammers can easily bypass it by sending one post with no links followed later with a spammy link(s) post.

If you're referring to

this mod

, that's exactly what the mod does...

Is that for sure? That's not what the info says, the info says

Another option this mod gives you is to check each users first few posts to see if they are posting links or email addresses, common spam techniques, and if they do so you can make those posts invisible and/or move the members doing the spamming into a different user group.

Which is a very different beast to having the BOARD rather than a MODERATOR decide is the first post has a link in it or not.

My suggestion was to move away from "moderator checking" to an automated process, as detailed in my post and enhanced on slightly by another poster.

If the add on you linked to does indeed have the automatic identifcation that I requested, then SUPERB, please clarify though, as it does not appear to on the basis of the info posted....?

@ ella. I would disagree, certainly it will change from board to board, but certainly on my boards it is only a very very small percentage of people who include a link with their very first post (less than 1%). I dare say some forums by there nature will be different, perhaps file sharing forums etc, but I would venture to say that the majority of forums would benefit from link checking on post number number 1.

If someone produces an addon to this effect (or if the one mentioned before does cover this), it will become an indespensible tool over the coming months as spammers step up their forum invasions. It's already getting beyond a joke, we need something in place now.

@cojo, certainly spammers will get around it eventually, but with the right tool, it should be easy to counter act. This is fire fighting for sure, but lets get the ball rolling now, as at the moment the spammers are making us site Admins look like we don't care.

Please, someone with the know how, come up with the goods. :(

Is that for sure? That's not what the info says, the info says

Which is a very different beast to having the BOARD rather than a MODERATOR decide is the first post has a link in it or not.

My suggestion was to move away from "moderator checking" to an automated process, as detailed in my post and enhanced on slightly by another poster.

If the add on you linked to does indeed have the automatic identifcation that I requested, then SUPERB, please clarify though, as it does not appear to on the basis of the info posted....?

Please, someone with the know how, come up with the goods. :(

It is a completely automated process. You can specify the number of posts to check (for example, each user's first 3 posts, first 5 posts, first post, etc.) and the number of links/email addresses to look for. You can make it so any member who joins and makes a post with links in it, it will automatically make that post invisible, log the action, and optionally PM staff groups and/or move that member to a different group. It's all completely automated. Sorry if my description did not clarify that the entire process is done without needing any moderator intervention.

Well, I have a question. How are they getting by the automated verification process... OR are they MANUALLY making posts???

The spam tool they are using can auto verify from an email addy set up by the spammer. It's a very clever spam bot.

Okay I tried out the anti-spam modification, played with the excellent settings in the ACP, created a new account and tried to post spam.

The post was immediately made invisible, the user account was immediately banned, and my admin account immediately got a PM with all the info I needed to pursue the case.

It took about 15-20 minutes to install, and the instructions were top class.

This is an AWESOME modification. Top credit to the author, really VERY well done.

Spammers are now targeting web forums more than ever - this is their new strategy.

Please PLEASE incorporate this.

Vbulletin seems to have a feature that disables links until a member has X number of posts. Would like that to be a core IPB feature.

I think both of these are excellent suggestions and definitely need to be incorporated into IPB A.S.A.P!

I've been having a lot problems with spammers to a point a spammer expolited IPB 2.1.7 and ended up with empty upload, skin, catche, content catche folders gone. I'm really sick of the spam. What sounds what Vbb has works great,because spammers have to post a few times, but once they cought on it be more a problem.

Archived