I must be a bit slow...

Guest ZenithRS

... but can someone point me to the documentation for IPB?

I've just spent a small fortune on IPB and so far the installer is buggy (it crashes with a MYSQL syntax error if you don't provide a table prefix) and the link provided at the end of the installation to documentation just loads invision's front page. Half an hour of clicking around the site and I've found nothing. It shouldn't be that hard to find.

Not real impressed so far.

And yes, I know it's not a "stable" release, but one would think these basics would be in place for an RC :blink:

Oh, and invision's page doesn't render correctly in Firefox.

... but can someone point me to the documentation for IPB?

I've just spent a small fortune on IPB and so far the installer is buggy (it crashes with a MYSQL syntax error if you don't provide a table prefix) and the link provided at the end of the installation to documentation just loads invision's front page. Half an hour of clicking around the site and I've found nothing. It shouldn't be that hard to find.

Not real impressed so far.

And yes, I know it's not a "stable" release, but one would think these basics would be in place for an RC :blink:

Oh, and invision's page doesn't render correctly in Firefox.

The installer isn't buggy, you're putting in an unacceptable value. It isn't so much a bug as user error. PBCAK

Give it a table prefix O_o

http://www.invisionpower.com/docs22temp/ipb22docs.pdf

Thanks.

The installer isn't buggy, you're putting in an unacceptable value. It isn't so much a bug as user error. PBCAK

Give it a table prefix O_o

If the installer can be crashed out by simply not entering anything into one of the form fields then it is buggy. Even the installation docs say a prefix isn't mandatory. Direct quote from install_guide.html ...

Unless you intend to install multiple copies of Invision Power Board into the same database, you can leave the "table prefix" blank.

But regardless of the error, the board still installs (unless someone lied to me). I'm going completely off what someone else told me here, so I don't know.

Nah... you cannot get past this error. You can only go back and start again and give a value in the table prefix field.

This bug was reported to our bug tracker this past week (where all bugs should be reported by the way) and has been fixed.

The entire installer and upgrader routines were completely overhauled for 2.2, and as such there are bound to be some bugs in them. If stability is a concern, you should use a stable release. ;) 2.2 is not supported, and yes, can indeed have some bugs. This particular one, however, has been fixed.

This bug was reported to our bug tracker this past week (where all bugs should be reported by the way) and has been fixed.

The entire installer and upgrader routines were completely overhauled for 2.2, and as such there are bound to be some bugs in them. If stability is a concern, you should use a stable release. ;) 2.2 is not supported, and yes, can indeed have some bugs. This particular one, however, has been fixed.

The point of the post was to find the documentation, which I have now, not to report a bug.

Stability is not a concern for me (within reason...this is a Release Candidate after all) as site is under development and isn't public yet.

I just find it to be a bit of a concern that my first experience with IPB finds niggly errors like this that are really very, very basic.

But thanks for reply regardless.

This is a second release candidate. Errors like that belong in alphas. If I didn't have some knowledge of PHP and MySQL I'd have been posting on here trying to figure out why I couldn't install. You really think that's RC material? Rhetorical question ;)

This is a second release candidate. Errors like that belong in alphas. If I didn't have some knowledge of PHP and MySQL I'd have been posting on here trying to figure out why I couldn't install. You really think that's RC material? Rhetorical question ;)

To be honest, it's only a minor bug, and it's an IPB release candidate - which have many bugs usually.

Well, as you pointed out this is a second RC release. :)

We went through...roughly 3 I'd say...alphas, and 2 or 3 betas, plus another RC release before this one. And no one else noticed this bug....that is the sole reason it was still present in RC2. Because no body found it. That is how all bugs slip through, and regardless of the stage of a product, if no one has noticed a bug, it is going to be present. :) As soon as we know about it, we work to fix it for the next release.

Because no one else was dope enough to think that leaving a vital piece of information out was okay. ><

You really don't read do you. He's quite right that the Install Guide does in fact suggest not including an SQL table prefix. It's not a vital piece of information. He's merely the only person ever to change the defaults on the SQL page. I mean, who does that?!?

Yes, he's absolutely right that it was a bug, and it absolutely needed to be fixed before final (and it has been). But...apparently nobody tried testing with no prefix set, so it got through. Was a very easy fix in the end. It's just that until I or Matt know of a bug, it's kind of hard to "guess" what bugs are present, and as such they will likely remain unless we stumble across it, or unless it is reported.

You really don't read do you. He's quite right that the Install Guide does in fact suggest

not including an SQL table prefix

. It's not a vital piece of information. He's merely the only person ever to change the defaults on the SQL page. I mean,

who does that?!?

Never saw that part of the install guide, I thought it was recommended TO have a prefix, due to other add-ons and systems that Invision uses that can integrate.

At least without it I believe I'd already be having problems with some new software I added.

It is kinda hard to find every bug in software which has so many functions, so you can't really complain that one has been found (Especially in a pre-final release - and as has been stated before IPS define RCs slightly different than people like mozilla etc in that the final RC isn't changed to Final without any code changes etc.)

To be honest, i've never encountered a bug that has caused me major problems when using the software, even in the beta stages...

Archived