Logging in

Guest theclub

If you see a long string of characters in your URL (a session id) it means the cookie isn't being properly set/read, and that is why you have to login.

This is the URL I see here ..

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic= 228832&pid=1436006&st=20&#entry1436006

- only people using dialup experience problems with the stronghold cookies.

Not true, dial-up gives a new IP every time, but so does ADSL, which I'm on, although mine are in a much tighter range, for instance, today I got the same IP as yesterday, so didn't have to log in again.

:)

Depending on your browser, you should be able to set it up so that you are automatically logged in whenever you go to a certain site, doesn't that work to eliminate the problem?

No, because IPB doesn't use HTTP authentication to log in. Internet Explorer/Firefox can't magically find the login page and log you in (after magically checking whether you are already logged in)

Now if anyone can write a browser to do that, I'm sure you could even charge for it and still get users.

I hope IPS realises that dynamic IP addresses will not always fall within the first two octets.

There is a higher chance that they WILL than that they wont. ISPs can only buy blocks of IP addresses. For example, my ISP assigns all users of it's DSL service an IP in the 60.234.0.0/255.0.0.0 block (sorry, can't remember bit notation - though I think this is a /24)

ISPs don't usually own all that many IP addresses, as to obtain more IP addresses, they have to prove a requirement for it and everything (ARIN and the like do NOT assign them on a whim).

Now here's the important point, from the NICs, you can only get IPs in blocks of "fricking heaps" (thousands) - usually an entire /24 assignment. They usually don't need more.

Still, I've been on internet connections that did seem to jump around a little IP-wise, even if it's only between a possible two different first two octets...if that last part makes sense.

Exactly. But if it's only between the first octets, then IP.Board doesn't care - or isn't supposed to.

[[Edit: Oh wait, I see. Your ISP has two different IP blocks which they assign between. Yeah, that would log you out. That said though, that's the exception not the rule]]

Hi,

Just some thoughts on this....

Would it be possible to turn this on for just certain groups?

I would not want this feature turned on for all my normal users, cause basically they cant do much more than just post etc, and they will get annoyed at having to keep logging on/off when they user their PC at work then at home.

Also, since I allow Guest posting, it will just make them post as guests more, rather than under their real username, cause the cant be bothered to login all the time.

I would want to enable this feature for just Admins & Moderators, because they are the ones with any 'power'.

Thanks,

Rob D.

Hi,

Just some thoughts on this....

Would it be possible to turn this on for just certain groups?

I would not want this feature turned on for all my normal users, cause basically they cant do much more than just post etc, and they will get annoyed at having to keep logging on/off when they user their PC at work then at home.

Also, since I allow Guest posting, it will just make them post as guests more, rather than under their real username, cause the cant be bothered to login all the time.

Thanks,

Rob D.

With a modification, I imagine it would be possible yes. Not by default however.

Archived