Views column stat not correct....

Guest Defenestration

Not a bug, this is a feature that has been in the product since 2.0 to prevent the ibf_topics table from being locked due to having the number of topic views updated frequently. A task will run that will update these to the correct number of views every 6 hours.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to PHP and database stuff. I understand why the ibf_topics table could become locked, but what is the problem with this happening (eg. does it cause problems with the forum when under high load) ?

Is this feature optional ?

I know it's not a major issue by any means, but just makes the Views column look a bit odd with new posts. I did some tests in a vB based forum and it's updated immediately, so how come IPB can't also do this ?

PS. Please excuse my ignorance. I just want to understand why it was introduced and the difficulties/problems involved when updating immediately. :)

• Management

Not sure when it was added but it is under CPU Saving.

Update Topic Views Immediately

If enabled, the topic views counter will be updated as one loads a topic. If not enabled, the topic views will be written to another table and the topic views updated every 6 hours. This will significantly reduce overhead on the topics table if you have a very busy board as it overcomes the write lock initiated when the topic counter is updated.

Archived