Universal moderator report center

Guest ASFx

I think IPB really needs a universal moderator report center where all the reports can be viewed and marked "complete"

Right now the report system is very inefficient because all the mods and admins just get PMs for every report, and nobody knows if a problem has already been taken care of. This leads to a lot of time wasted between the mod team.

If there was a place where allthe reports went, and the mods were able to access this "report center" and mark them as "complete", it would make life much easier.

There is a very nice mod that does this made by cy here:

http://www.ipsbeyond.com/forums/index.php?...ds&showfile=213

But I think this feature is important enough to be added to the standard IPB release.

• 1 year later...

Long overdue. IMO, a must for 3.0.

I think you could even merge aspects of the warn panel into a report center like that. For example the warn messages to a members could probably get merged into a moderator report center.

I have an updated system that has been out since the release of 2.2 that's highly customizable. It's not free, but it does a great job.

FYI: The Report Center has zero source modification and very few template edits. The only reason why AH made that mod is because people complained about contributing to my product. I've sold ~100 licenses so far.

(See sig)

the external mods look interesting, i'm just getting exhausted reinstalling stuff every time something is changed with the forum software. For our site, it's easier just to give feedback and wait for IPS to add the features.

I'm surprised corporations haven't asked for a better moderator system to make it easier to manage their boards.

The report center is not effected by upgrades. If you upgrade, it still works. The only thing you have to worry about is a couple template bits. If you revert them, it takes 2 minutes or less to fix. Otherwise, in most cases, you never have to.

My old moderator center was different. I made the report center with the intent of making it extreemly functional, easy to use, and easy to maintain as possible.

I have an updated system that has been out since the release of 2.2 that's highly customizable. It's not free, but it does a great job.

FYI: The Report Center has zero source modification and very few template edits. The only reason why AH made that mod is because people complained about contributing to my product. I've sold ~100 licenses so far.

(See sig)

Dont want to create a war here :P, as both products have good points in favour of each of them, but your FYI part has little impact because both mods need no edits :P

And you know what's funny? It was done exactly the same way. Exactly. Down to the type of variables and lines used. And you know what, the report center was in development long before 2.2 ever came out. Brandon can confirm and other staff can confirm this. Hell, the topic where I introduced it to them probably still exists!

Report Manager (your code) in member_bar:

<if="include_once( ROOT_PATH . 'sources/components_public/reportmanager_conf/setup.php' )"></if>
{$this->ipsclass->reportlink}

Report Center (my code) in member_bar:

<if="$this->ipsclass->member['id'] >0">
<if="include_once( ROOT_PATH . 'sources/components_public/report/report_global.php' )"> </if>{$this->ipsclass->report_center_link}
</if>

Can you even give me the reason why you put a variable into "$this->ipsclass"? Why not use a direct variable from the included file? "$reportlink". I can tell you why I did it.

I did it because IF version 2.1 was being used you CANT include a file with the if statement. It requires a single line modification in index.php for version 2.1. Since the "wrapper" script needed to be the same, it's the ONLY way to pass the variable in both instances.

Examining your code further I can see several key areas that I'm sure you didn't pull out of thin air. But those examples are more disputable than the one above. The only thing I can think of is I noticed you referenced the template bits to "$this->html". I know VERY FEW people who still do that. Back in IPB 2.0 you had to set a variable like this. But since it was referenced in $ipsclass, many people just used that. I do it because it's easier for me to type. But this isn't anything to complain about anyway.

No you didn't simply copy the report center directly and slap your name on it. If you did you know sure well I would have done something about it long ago. The report manager seems much more bloated as well, and I swear it must have 3 times the files that the report center does. Even if you wanted to copy some of the features exactly, I doubt you'd be able to because you don't know the mechanics. Instead, it's slapped together to mimic what I've done. And of course you added your own stuff into it as well. Congratulations for some originality.

What pisses me off the most is I have people accusing me of copying you, and my product was finished in alpha stages weeks before 2.2's release. You have no idea how much effort it took. It took months of planning, months of coding, and months of research. I had it running on working busy community sites long before I even announced it, and entirely through the development process.

What also upsets me is after being told by Charles that IPS Beyond would be a place to support not just free mods but paid mods before IPS Beyond's conception, my mod gets removed and yours is allowed to remain. You have no idea how much that ticks me off. And you have to admit if I hadn't decided to sell my product you would never have had a reason to start "yours". The problem is some people are too cheap to pay a small $20 license fee. And that includes an already fully functional blog, gallery, and post plugin. If I had the download center I would make a plugin and include that as well.

Oh and by the way reputable coders don't completely rip off the IPS installer. It may be ok to look at it to get an idea, but you can't copy the whole damn thing. I'm surprised you haven't gotten in trouble for distributing files.

And encase someone even tries of accusing me of the same thing: My installer may look similar on the outside, but the mechanics are completely different. Not only is the file structure and coding itself completely different, but it has things that no mod installer to date has, unless they got the idea from me after the fact. Example? XML language pack system that loads a persons language by detecting their language choice provided by the browser.

Here are some old screen shots from the beta: http://www.custombb.net/rc/

I changed quite a few things since then though... Like:

1) I removed AIM support because I couldn't get it working in every situation.
2) The blue arrow was removed and replaced with click-able global post markers that look like this.
3) I replaced the "Loading" thing with the current loading box provided in IPB.

The last thing I want to say about this is... At one time I was part of the IPS staff helping out in the tech department remotely. It was a temporary assignment... But as silly as it may sound, I wanted to prove myself. I put an enormous amount of time and effort into making the report center "IPS quality". I think I did a fairly good job doing that, although there are still a few things I want to make slightly easier on the development end.

Archived