Dear Santa

Guest Please Delete

So with Christmas fast approaching I thought I would take the opportunity to wish everyone a happy upcoming holiday season.

On that subject I would like to start a FRIENDLY string with Christmas wishes for IPB.

Personally I would like to see a section where they post temporary bug fixes before they release the next version of IPB.

I have a topic for which I would like an interim solution:
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...&f=272&t=193760

Keep your requests reasonable and polite and let IPB know what is on your wish list for Christmas.

THIS IS NOT A FEATURE REQUEST STRING BUT RATHER WHAT CHANGES OR PARTICULAR IMPROVEMENTS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE.

Again in the spirit of the holidays keep things polite and civil and just maybe by the time Christmas arrives Santa will grant your wish.

HeHeHe

PS. Does everyone know that Santa is a Canadian? After all he does live at the North Pole!!

So with Christmas fast approaching I thought I would take the opportunity to wish everyone a happy upcoming holiday season.

On that subject I would like to start a FRIENDLY string with Christmas wishes for IPB.

Personally I would like to see a section where they post temporary bug fixes before they release the next version of IPB.

I have a topic for which I would like an interim solution:

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...&f=272&t=193760

I would imagine, for all but the most serious fixes, the developers will think:

"We have to go to the trouble now of documenting our bug fixes, write them up nicely, put them on the discussion board with a happy face, then field questions, problems and arguments back and forth about people trying to patch their own sources, what a lot of hassle, we're not doing that :P "

:ph34r:

-A shout box (Not one of those you can download as an add on) witch is actually good and fully supported (Check box to enable/disable)

-Improved Portal for 2.1.x

-Spelling checker (Like the Google one in their Gmail and tool bar. This would REALLY increase the posting abilities for people who are not very good at English or the selected board language.)

-A shout box (Not one of those you can download as an add on) witch is actually good and fully supported (Check box to enable/disable)

-Improved Portal for 2.1.x

-Spelling checker (Like the Google one in their Gmail and tool bar. This would REALLY increase the posting abilities for people who are not very good at English or the selected board language.)

It amazes me that IPB does not have spell check included. We have this wonderful RTE editor and no spell check? :blink:

LOL. If we all learned what we were supposed to in school, then spell check shouldn't be much of an issue. Still not sure how to spell that 8 letter word? Google is your friend. LOL

If only, if only....

Personally, making the tools and caches area in the ACP modular would be on the top of my wishlist. Then we could just drop-in tools into IPB, and when our components created new caches, we could auto update them. It would be really easy to do...

LOL. If we all learned what we were supposed to in school, then spell check shouldn't be much of an issue. Still not sure how to spell that 8 letter word? Google is your friend. LOL

ehm.. You do know that people outside the USA don't talk English right? I have seen several Russians or what ever type a sentence like this: "Me dont hawe ai cloe wat to do" With the spell checker the sentence would be more like: "I don't have a clue what to do". If you don't see the purpose of this, then i suggest you do your geography over again.

Then it was a terribly bad example, which doesn't help your argument more than a fairy fart. I was attempting to be constructive and explain that there's a time and a place for a spell checker, and trying to translate from Russian to English ain't it. A translation program would be more appropriate.

Still I think my point remains: the best spell checker in the world only helps if you have an idea of how the word is supposed to be spelled. Ergo, a spell checker is only useful for people who have a decent grasp on the language and just need a little help.

Finally, I used SpellBound for Firefox (and Microsoft Word, which I said in my previous post).

Then it was a terribly [b]bad[/b] example, which doesn't help your argument more than a fairy fart. I was attempting to be constructive and explain that there's a time and a place for a spell checker, and trying to translate from Russian to English ain't it. A translation program would be more appropriate.

Still I think my point remains: [u]the best spell checker in the world only helps if you have an idea of how the word is [b]supposed[/b] to be spelled.[/u] Ergo, a spell checker is only useful for people who have a decent grasp on the language and just need a little help.

Finally, I used SpellBound for Firefox (and Microsoft Word, which I said in my previous post).

Well duhh.. It's not suppose to be a translator, it's suppose to help people spell the freaking word correctly. I never said anything about translating the text. You better read the full thing before you start an argument. And BTW, the example has no freaking meaning. The point of it was that Russian's tend to have bad spelling. Just stfu about it and see what happens. The thing you are pointing out is ridiculous and has no point to it what so ever. If a person enters an English board we all would believe he knew English a bit. Clearly a spell checker is to SPELL the word for correctly for them, not translate it.

You said:

I have seen several Russians or what ever type a sentence like this: "Me dont hawe ai cloe wat to do" With the spell checker the sentence would be more like: "I don't have a clue what to do".

And my reply of 'No, a spellchecker won't help you with that sentance' remains valid.

Dew knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl yore mistakes.

Also:

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Finally:

key6nc.gif

Sorry, just joking guys o:)

You said:

And my reply of 'No, a spellchecker won't help you with that sentance' remains valid.

ok... this is so fu** stupid. IT WAS JUST A SENTENCE I WROTE JUST TO SHOW THE MORONS OUT THERE WHAT A SPELL CHECKER WAS. I DID NOT MEAN IT WOULD CONVERT IT 100%. THAT SENTENCE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC WHAT SO EVER. Jesus i hate writing in caps, but apparently you don't understand it in any other way.

No, LightFang, I get it. And I know what a spellchecker is. My posts are all spelled correctly because I have one built into my browser. And I think you agree with my point that it was a bad example and doesn't support your argument. Which is what I said earlier. So nu. Done.

The problem, as I see it, with having a spellchecker in the board is that it's hard to add words to your personal dictionary. My name is not, and never will be, in an English dictionary (thank you, Dad). I like to 'approve' it and add it to my dictionary.

I feel the place of a dictionary should be integrated with ones program (i.e your browser), not the board. Also, the overhead needed for a spelling (and grammar as some posters have shown they need help there, including non-English posters) check isn't minor, and it gets worse when you add in all the different possible languages.

I'm a firm no on putting it in Invision. This one is your responsibility, not the boards.

Something similar to the Invision mod is not bad, I have it installed and it works well. I also have ieSpell installed on my browser and prefer it but I have had some good positive feedback from members. All in all spellcheck is just supposed to have the basics, I think if you overcomplicate it you will run into trouble.

I used to have an Ikonboard 3 years ago with a great mod installed, I got it from swarf.net and it was one of the better mods. The Invisionize one is OK but still needs some work.

No, [b]LightFang[/b], I get it. And I know what a spellchecker is. My posts are all spelled correctly because I have one built into my browser. And I think you agree with my point that it was a bad example and doesn't support your argument. Which is what I said earlier. So nu. Done.

The problem, as I see it, with having a spellchecker in the board is that it's hard to add words to your personal dictionary. My name is not, and never will be, in an English dictionary (thank you, Dad). I like to 'approve' it and add it to my dictionary.

I feel the place of a dictionary should be integrated with ones program (i.e your browser), not the board. Also, the overhead needed for a spelling (and grammar as some posters have shown they need help there, including non-English posters) check isn't minor, and it gets worse when you add in all the different possible languages.

I'm a firm no on putting it in Invision. This one is your responsibility, not the boards.

What do you want me to do? Edit the damn post? So you can take your whoring some where else? Dear god...

What do you want me to do? Edit the damn post? So you can take your whoring some where else? Dear god...

I'm trying to explain my reasoning as to why I think a built in spellchecker is unnessecary, on a base IPB. If you want to add one in, then a custom mod (or maybe an IPS built mod? That'd be sorta cool) seems fine to me, but I don't genrally like the idea of adding a whole lot of features that not everyone wants to use, unless those features are easily turned off and on by one simple checkbox.

(And since I'm a whore, that'll be $500 for my opinion ;) we charge you know.)

Archived