Automatic update?

Guest Criminal#58369

Not to forget it would not work for anyone that has modified their board. If they tried the update it would wipe their mods since it overwrites the files.

Another problem is for files that you CHMOD after an install so no one can run it and make changes to the board. How is the upgrade script going to know what your FTP login/password is to be able to go in and do a CHMOD on files and folders if needed.

Not to forget it would not work for anyone that has modified their board.  If they tried the update it would wipe their mods since it overwrites the files.

I thought the same thing but maybe add that feature with a feature that u can disable it and do the manual way. ;-)

If this were to be implemented, then it would be useful for Board Administrators without techinical knowledge/time. IPS might stop offering thier Installation/Upgrade Service, and that would save the Company a lot of money.

Updating should never be automatic as such, but rather Wizard Style. A Notification should Appear within the AdminCP (where the Message about Deleting the Installer Appears), and a online wizard should be run by clicking "Upgrade Now".

• 1 year later...

I hate to bring up an old topic, but Anthony's wizard style updater would be a handy feature. Have people enter in their customer center info, that way nullified boards can't get the updates. Have IPB check the license key against the customer's info, then fire up a wizard style updater. This would be quite nice for those with slow internet connections as the files would be transfered between servers, eliminating the admin as the middle man. You might even be able to track down pirates this way too.

Too late for 2.2? Maybe 3.0?

Also, what about the fact it may write over custom modifications, I can see this working well for sites that use the basic invision board but for those with code changes etc this could be a nightmare. Though it wouldn't be a problem if they had a enable/disable switch!

:) :devil:

This would be a nice feature and certainly do-able. However I'd bet at least 50% of customers have modified boards and would be therefore ruled out of using this service. Probably not worth it. The 50% is probably higher too, I just guestimated.

I don't know if this would work, since people could then get updates for free, theoretically. I think this would work if the automatic updates could be blocked after a license expires.

Well no, php would send your key, Invision would confirm, and send data or not. (also check referer domain against key)

I only see a problem in modded forums, where it may overwrite modded files! :o Maybe a system that checks against checksums, if they don't match up it holds the auto-update for an admin to come in.

I personally don't see patches comming out quick enough for me to care though.

This can't really be done, because under most circumstances IPB's main files are not writeable by the webserver.

EDIT: OK ignore me, you

could

just delete the old ones and replace them with the new ones.

If you wanted to get really crazy, you could have it edit the code of the old ones :P lots less bandwidth (but more processing time)

You could perhaps have it auto-update via FTP the same way (grab the file, since it's technically local it's instant, edit it in memory, re-save over the old one?)

Use FTP to save/edit files as opposed to PHP, you mean? Could work better, but might still be tricky.

So have you all thought about it to know to check whether or not you have an active license to download updates or not?

Also, how would you have it to where it didn't screw up the custom mods you put on your board?

While this sounds like a nice feature, I don't see it happening, nor is it feasible.

So have you all thought about it to know to check whether or not you have an active license to download updates or not?

You'd have to submit your licence ID info and create an active session with Invision to get the updated files

Also, how would you have it to where it didn't screw up the custom mods you put on your board?

Checksums for files, if files are customized it wont update at all

Interesting concept. I could see it happening.

Firstly, all files and directories would need to be fully writeable (777), which may pose a security threat (not sure).

Then there needs to be some sort of verification if you're a customer or not, but that's probably already easily possibly (ipscheck). This wouldn't work for people who install modifications. Perhaps somehow IPB can compare the hashkeys of each file, and if they're all still the same, it'll do the auto updates, otherwise, it'll be disabled.

And lastly, this may possibly pose a problem to people with skins. If a new upgrade has quite a few template changes, and the board gets updated without them getting a chance to fix their skins on a dev board, so then their boards may have some unuseable parts because of skin errors.

Oh yeah, then there's the transfer and execution, which also leads to server support.

You have to take everything into consideration for things like this. =/ I'd love to see something like this. It would make my life much easier, and also prevent hackers because of people being too lazy to upgrade their forums. :)

I don't know how it works, but the new Woltlab Burning Board 3 (now in Alpha 2 phase) will have automated updates.

The Community Framework will have a function that can run automatic updates of installed packages. Included is a process to Update installed Packages / Modules from the originator (e.g. Woltlab) into the Package Database, thus creating a Live update system for future versions. You will be able to have update packages automatically download and install. It will also be possible to manually search for updates and install individual Packages / Updates. A larger selected package will automatically download and install any smaller packages that it requires in order to function. You will be able to individually uninstall any particular package, so long as it is not in use by another larger package, commonly know a "Dependancy Packaging" and can be achieved with the click of a mouse button.

Source: http://woltlab.de/news/331_en.php

The board is available at beta.woltlab.de. The skin isn't very nice, but its only for the beta...

If this did get added, idea: The board (or something) will show a 'print' out of what changed, the files that got renamed, moved, directories moved renamed, functions, code (like the 2.0.x -> 2.1.x changes), template changes. What-not.

I think I just got an idea for updating. (Another) idea: Similar to Windows Updating, it asks you weather and when you want to download and install the update. Could the same be done for IPB? The board would show a message (pop-up?) in the Admin CP of a new version, take you to a page with the changes, and asks you weather you want to (download(?)) & ((install(?))) the update. After-wards it reshows the changes, and weather the board was upgraded successfully, similar to Window Updating.

Archived