Sounds in IPB?

Guest Amir2090

I was thinking of how nice it would be to add some sounds to the whole IPB.
For instance, you could hear a choosable sound when a pm pops up.
Or users could select some sort of jingle to be played when their profile is being displayed. . .

what do you think?
:)

I do agree (with the RUN AWAY sentiment) but ... if this evil force were unleashed ... I can think of some fun to be had if you could apply different awful midis and what-not to particular forums and so on.

Well, it would be funny once, for three seconds, probably.

It's doable on your own, I've done it, it gets annoying after a while though....

Just add the good old embed tags in the HTML area of your choice

<embed src="url" loop=false></embed>

That may or not make the box visible, but if it is just google search for the piece to add for hiing.

well, i'm pretty sure that listening repeatedly to the same clip endlessly would be more than crappy. . . but obviously there should be an ON/OFF option for that at all times.

i also think that given the fact that it all depends on the the admins/users choice, giving the mere possibility to implement another media device would just be an improvement.

hypertext. . . yeah, of course, but does this mean that avatars and profiles are useless too? The answer is yes :) but isn't it funny?

I think a better idea and one I've thought about since the ikonboard days is a proper desktop client that keeps you up to date on your online community. Several people made pretty good attempts at something similar a while back, but unfortunately the security issue made making it personal and useful a bit difficult.

I think a better idea and one I've thought about since the ikonboard days is a proper desktop client that keeps you up to date on your online community. Several people made pretty good attempts at something similar a while back, but unfortunately the security issue made making it personal and useful a bit difficult.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would be interesting to make, what we're the security issues though?

Authenticating from a desktop application via a php script isn't the most secure solution really.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, would the application basically be a duplicate of the forum, so you can read topics and such? Or would it be the sort of thing you can make a notification for so it has a little popup that says "{name} has replied to {topic} inside {forum} at {time}"?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been think of something like that for a while now - I think .net webservices can make that a reality but not PHP

Authenticating depending on how it would work wouldn't be that hard, if i can find an example of on the desktop things it's something i'd want to look into.

Authenticating of the desktop application which i assume would be in something like C/C++/C#/Java and so on, could interact with PHP enough to work.

I was thinking of how nice it would be to add some sounds to the whole IPB.

For instance, you could hear a choosable sound when a pm pops up.

Or users could select some sort of jingle to be played when their profile is being displayed. . .

what do you think?

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the option whether to use sounds would be a good one. Then it would be up to the individual board owner whether to use it or not.

Authenticating from a desktop application via a php script isn't the most secure solution really.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After talking with Stewart, this isn't a security issue really.

All you do is mimic HTTP POST headers to make it look like the login was done through a browser.

Working on a IPB Alerts client in Java, should be interesting.

Archived