topic views counter

Guest jlin

I noticed something strange about the topic views counter. The counter increases every time I refresh the page within a topic and every time I view the topic even when there are no new posts; and when I post messages in topics, the counter increases by 2 (that is, one while viewing before posting and another when I'm sent back to the topic after making the post). Some people lurk in topics and refresh to see if there are any new posts or if there is anyone that's entred the topic; this leads to misleading topic view counts. Is there any way to have the view count *not* increase when the same user views the topic more than once when there are no new posts?

I noticed something strange about the topic views counter. The counter increases every time I refresh the page within a topic and every time I view the topic even when there are no new posts; and when I post messages in topics, the counter increases by 2 (that is, one while viewing before posting and another when I'm sent back to the topic after making the post). Some people lurk in topics and refresh to see if there are any new posts or if there is anyone that's entred the topic; this leads to misleading topic view counts. Is there any way to have the view count *not* increase when the same user views the topic more than once when there are no new posts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As was mentioned, the view count has nothing to do with post count within a topic. (That's what the reply count is for.. Replies + 1 is the total number of posts inside of the topic). Why would you want to limit the inceasing of the viewcount anyway? The more view "points" a topic has, the increased chances it will get more attention by other visitors. If anything, you want to find ways to increase the count because then people will will return more often to see what new happens in the topic. It's a gimmick when you consider it, and it works against you and your forums to have lower views/visits.

;)

I just think it's more useful to know how many users have read a certain post, rather than how many times users have read the post. And it doesn't matter for me whether the view count is high; it's not as important as a high post count anyway.

Then perhaps the feature suggestion would be a way of knowing who has viewed a topic.. When I was using iKonboard (I switched from it because using cgi instead of php, it was a bit slow for my impatient tastes), there was a hack made that would keep track of who viewed a topic. Click on the "View count" and it would do a pop up window with the names of who all viewed it. Something like that would definitely be nice, especially if it was also made to show who voted in a poll (only that they voted, not the choice they made)

Could be useful especially if you make an important announcement and want to see if someone specific read it or not.

The post count indicator in forum view does a similar thing does it not - when clicked it shows you a list of everyone who has replied in it. Should be somewhat simple to show who has read it and have a default field for guests too (if your forum allows guests to read).

The post count indicator in forum view does a similar thing does it not - when clicked it shows you a list of everyone who has replied in it. Should be somewhat simple to show who has read it and have a default field for guests too (if your forum allows guests to read).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe its been done already over at invisionize

Archived