Skin Manager Interface Suggestions

Guest Chris Griego

Is there any chance of an importer for older skins? ie importing a 2.0.4 skin into 2.1 so that it adds in the extra classes etc that the new templates have? I'm not a skinner but I would sorely like to be able to just "import" my current skin and still have the use of the updated forum features etc in the imported skin.

Hope that makes sense :P

Grooverider

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because of how the Skin Manager works and the parent/child skin relationships, it already does that to a limited extent. You can import old skins, and it will inherit any new template bits and any template bits that the skin does not have customized.

It does not update the part of the skin you've already customized though, that's simply expecting an artificial intelligence from your board.

Thanks! The first one is already there. "Add a keyboard shortcut (via javascript) that will Save the Template Bit that is focused." :)

2) Make it so you can edit the lang bit name as well as the actual part of the lang and have it something like this.

post-53493-1126511127_thumb.jpg

I don't see how this would be helpful unless you were making custom language bits (which would be helpful). For built-in bits this only has the potential to break down fundamental assumptions in the skinning system, which is that language bits don't change names. It would be like renaming built-in macros, which the interface does allow but it also breaks fundamental assumptions so it can wreak havoc.

• 2 weeks later...

The topic came unpinned. :'(

I've got a suggestion, quit changing the skinning system. Every time you update IPB the skins need to be pain stakingly edited, or simply redone. It's getting annoying. Make up your mind and don't touch it.

The skin engine itself hardly changed at all between 2.0 and 2.1.1, what has changed is the skin contents, and the skin contents will always have to change between versions to support new features and improvements. Please try to be constructive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

all the suggestions sound great, but may I add something for those who use right-to-left languages (Hebrew and Arabic)!

Can IPB add something (like an button or an option box) in the skin manager that will handle the changes in the skin templates regarding the change in the look from LTR (default) to the RTL. This will save countless hours spend on doing it manually for each new different version.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

two problems after i installed gallery to Version v2.1.3

1)
when i click on My Controls [ user cp] , iam getting one more error,

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: menu_bar_new_category() in /home/arabvall/public_html/Forums/sources/components_ucp/gallery.php on line 58

2)

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: global_board_header_component_link() in /home/arabvall/public_html/Forums/sources/classes/class_display.php on line 190

i hope some one will help me
thank you

I'd like someone to search and replace all outdated code with W3 standards, bold is gone, strong is in, there is one good reason to change, the pages load much faster. Style belongs in the style sheet, not in html.

Finally I found a simple solution to removing background and putting lines back in by creating a second ipbtable with borders and without.

It would be nice to have a slimmed down standards style for those who want it, I realize old stuff is kept for some upgrades, but I would rather reset my skin with a slim style in a new release.

When I add style to the forum its an include, its the same include I first added bypassing the style sheet, whereas ipb style is always like a jigsaw puzzle. I think it really helps to have a frontend developer set up style in the footprints of the backend developer, it helps keep both sides efficient.

My opinion. :whistle:

• 11 months later...

Sorry to bump this after nearly a year but it does have some good suggestions and I'll add one of mine:

In the EASY CSS mod (of editing skins) have the option at the bottom to work with only the parts of the CSS you want to work with. Example I want to only work with celldateshaded (what ever that'd be & be in easy CSS) instaed of putting it in the search function of the browser (CTRL+F) & highlighting (firefox . . .) an option at the bottom should be incuded thqat would show on the screen ONLY the part(s) of the CSS you select. I do not care weather you have to refresh the page.

Archived