slightly neglected Invision community php8 upgrade returns error 500 even in the admincp

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Hi everyone, 

I've got a slightly neglected for the last couple of years Invision Community board running for a car club.

It was left hanging running php7.3 and I could no longer upgrade to 4.7 (I was running the latest supported by php7.3). This is a privately owned VPS and the person managing the system bit, upgraded to 8.3 which (as I read here) is not compatible. So it was downgraded to 8.0.30 but I am still getting an error 500 even when trying to open the AdminCP.

The ips4 compatibility tester does not show any issues and I'm at a loss at this point.

I read in another topic that downgrading to 7.4 and then upgrading first the forum and then going for php8 did the trick for some, is that something that would be recommended?

Any suggestions are more than welcome. 

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

• Solution

Depending on the version you’re currently running, it may not be compatible with PHP8 or you have a third party add on which is being down your suite ads it isn’t compatible. You will want to review your server error log to find out what.

If it’s the core software, you’ll need to perform a manual upgrade:

6 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Depending on the version you’re currently running, it may not be compatible with PHP8 or you have a third party add on which is being down your suite ads it isn’t compatible. You will want to review your server error log to find out what.

If it’s the core software, you’ll need to perform a manual upgrade:

I'll downgrade the php back to 7.4 so that I can go back to the admincp and disable all plugins, and give another try to the installer and upgrade to php8. 

If I understand correctly, 7.4 is (was) still supported up to a version that would allow me to upgrade then my php to 8.

Just now, kkoutalis said:

understand correctly, 7.4 is (was) still supported up to a version that would allow me to upgrade then my php to 8.

That would no longer be possible as the latest release does not support 7. You can only upgrade to the latest release via a manual upgrade as mentioned. 

So what did the trick was to downgrade to php7.4, disable all plugins and then upgrade back to php8.0. Which did the trick and then I could upgrade the suite from the adminCP and since I was at it, once that was completed, I updated to php8.1 and I'm now good. 🙂

Just need to get the latest versions of any plugins and I'm good. 🙂 

Thanks again Jim for your help!