High CPU usage after upgrade to 4.7.17 (from 4.7.14)

Hello,

Has anyone noticed high CPU usage on 4.7.17? I upgraded while ago and noticed CPU usage in my case raised on web host serving that version where test forum that still runs on 4.7.14 is OK.

Is it always high or only high during certain periods? Have you disabled any third party applications/plugins/themes to see if there is any correlation? Do you have any background tasks running? Have you gotten with your hosting provider to check all items on the server?

While I understand you are trying to correlate this to the upgrade, correlation does not always equal causation so you must investigate it all.

1 minute ago, PatrickRQ said:

Looks like with 4.7.17 MySQL gets overwhelmed.

Can the change be related?

It would be recommended to update to MySQL 8. 

The optimization really shouldn't impact you that much as it was removed to offer better performance in MySQL 8 and across the board.

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

The optimization really shouldn't impact you that much as it was removed to offer better performance in MySQL 8 and across the board.

Just now, Jim M said:

Is it always high or only high during certain periods? Have you disabled any third party applications/plugins/themes to see if there is any correlation? Do you have any background tasks running? Have you gotten with your hosting provider to check all items on the server?

While I understand you are trying to correlate this to the upgrade, correlation does not always equal causation so you must investigate it all.

It is always high. I tried disabling customs, same. FYI, my test copy run on 4.7.14 with same set of custom hooks and has no problems. I tried isolating the issue by disabling different elements and from what I determine now it seems to be MySQL.

Will consider in some future but for now I would prefer to fix issue on current version, since I still use "compatible one".

2 minutes ago, PatrickRQ said:

Will consider in some future but for now I would prefer to fix issue on current version, since I still use "compatible one".

Keep in mind that compatible just means it will run, it does not mean it will be performant. However, I have tagged a developer to see if they have any recommendations.

3 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Keep in mind that compatible just means it will run, it does not mean it will be performant. However, I have tagged a developer to see if they have any recommendations.

Appreciate, as this is not good time for me to upgrade anything in my env.

18 minutes ago, PatrickRQ said:

@Jim M I need to send some sensitive data, can I send you a private message? I think I might have found a hole somebody is using to overwhelm the MySQL

If you think you found security issues, please feel free to use the contact us link at the bottom of the page.