Cache lifetime for widgets

I suspect there may be some computation error with cache lifetime of rss imports. I created a page with some of these widgets and set their cache lifetime to a minimum of 60 minutes (some of them have 720 minutes, 1440 minutes, etc) and none of them have below 60 minutes.

After loading the page once, the widgets are supposed to cache their data without making calls to the rss services for subsequent page loads for at least 60 minutes. But that never happens as the page seem to take the same amount of real time to load after just a few minutes from last page load. A couple of widgets may not matter much even if they re-fetch data but with multiple widgets, this is a bummer as it takes more time frequently! The page loads within a couple of seconds from cached data fine for more than 2 minutes from last page load but trying after 5 minutes re-fetches the data of all widgets on the page taking more time. The cache never lasts for at least 60 minutes as configured.

Another issue I notice is that the cached data should be global that should be reused by all users. It may affect one random user once in a while when the cache expires that would take real time to load the page for him and after that, all users should get to reuse the cached data until cache expires, affecting some random user again. I tried with multiple user accounts and multiple browsers and it seems like the data for each user is loaded afresh and cached (pre-cached data by another user is not getting reused by other users).

Even with guest users, it is the same issue as the page loads in real time every few minutes.

Once the page is loaded and widget data is cached, it should reuse the cached data during subsequent page loads for all users until cache expires.

Is cached data stored in a table or disk files? How can I make cache last for the configured number of minutes on CiC?

Please advise...

How are you testing this? Are you just going off of what feels like a long wait time or are you seeing this hit an external RSS feed each time? Do you have an example we can take a look at?

Looking at a simple example, I am seeing the cache be respected of my block settings.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jim M said:

How are you testing this? Are you just going off of what feels like a long wait time or are you seeing this hit an external RSS feed each time? Do you have an example we can take a look at?

Looking at a simple example, I am seeing the cache be respected of my block settings.

My page takes 20 seconds to load afresh (due to multiple widgets) when cache expires. Once their data gets cached from page load, subsequent page loads take 2-3 seconds if loaded in 2 minutes from last page load. But after 5 minutes, it takes the same 20 seconds which is a sure indication it is doing a full fetch of all widgets not respecting the cache lifetime.

As per the config of widgets, it should load the page from cache for at least 60 minutes within 2-3 seconds because that is the minimum cache lifetime I used on all widgets (some of them are set to 12 hours, 24 hours, etc) but most of them are set to 60 minutes.

Guest users also have the same issue of cache expiring in 5 minutes. But it loads the page really fast for guests like under 1 second when cached (apparently, the entire page is cached as a single HTML string for guests but each widget can have different cache lifetimes).

22 hours ago, WebCMS said:

Another issue I notice is that the cached data should be global that should be reused by all users. It may affect one random user once in a while when the cache expires that would take real time to load the page for him and after that, all users should get to reuse the cached data until cache expires, affecting some random user again. I tried with multiple user accounts and multiple browsers and it seems like the data for each user is loaded afresh and cached (pre-cached data by another user is not getting reused by other users).

Is cached data stored in a table or disk files? How can I make cache last for the configured number of minutes on CiC?

@Jim M

I'm not able to PM you the link as messaging is disabled on your profile. Is there a way to send you the link?

If others seeing this topic visit the page and refresh its cache, you may not be able to test or see what I'm seeing.

Edited by WebCMS