Can we have a less than 1 kB SVG for the profile/club default pattern instead of an 181 kB PNG?

aia

34 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

While I have no doubt there are optimisations can always be improved in areas, I think looking at a 0.1mb file these days is probably no one that is going to give you any huge improvement

Hello from mobile users and non-US places. We exist. Yes, even a fraction of a megabyte makes a lot of difference for us, in terms of both speed and internet cost.

For clubs, it's 300+ kB, while it could be less than 1 KiB when implemented as SVG, is totally worth changing.

P.S. I like how you rounded 181 kB to 0.1 MB :smile:

Edited by aia

I thought one of the major reasons for a major update to the visual interface was to be faster, leaner, and offer more options than ever before. "If" an .svg version of a graphic file can be reduced as much as @aia claims than it would meet all three of the criteria I mentioned earlier.  I am not sure why it hasn't been included up to this point (It has been around for 25 years) or being talked about being added at some future point in time.

14 minutes ago, SoloInter said:

You might as well go even further and ask for it to be a plain color background by default with always the possibility of adding an image.

Tbh, it would be a nice option for those, who do not need these patterns. But also, if they want to have some pattern there, why not? If it weighs less than 1kb, it's not a problem at all. With SVG, they can also add more of different unique or even dynamic patterns while keeping the filesize in a reasonable range.

It's only a problem when meaningless image weighs more than the page itself :smile:

Edited by aia

However it seems to me that all it would take is an FTP connection and an image with the same name and the same extension to replace the one provided by default. You would then have a basic image according to your wishes.

We might also have an option somewhere in the Admin to replace this base image.