Recurring events for each year with different dates

WebCMS

Posted (edited)

Recurring events should be enhanced to be edited/saved with different dates for each year. This will allow us to just change the dates of some events for any year without having to create them from scratch laboriously which can also save a history of recurring events for each year with different dates for past/future reference. If I'm not mistaken, it overwrites the date of a recurring event when we modify its date for any year.

For instance, if I create a list of events for the entire year in 2024, I should be able to edit some of their dates in 2025 while keeping the dates of 2024 events intact. In 2026, I would see recurring events for 2025 which I can edit some of their dates to create a new set of events for 2026 that become recurring events for 2027.

This is the highly expected behavior even for US Calendars and this enhancement would add more muscle to the Events module and make it more powerful.

ChatGPT says...

Do holidays fall on the same day every year?

No, not all holidays are on the same day every year. The dates of holidays can vary depending on the type of calendar used and the legislation of the state or country where the holiday is celebrated:

United States federal holidays

Some federal holidays, like New Year's Day, fall on the same day every year, while others, like Thanksgiving, are always on a specific day of the week. For example, Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday, while five other holidays are always on a Monday. If a federal holiday falls on a weekend, federal employees usually observe it on the closest weekday. For example, if Independence Day falls on a Saturday, it's observed on the Friday before.

State holidays

State governments decide the dates of holidays, and they can agree on the same date as a federal holiday, like Thanksgiving.

Holidays based on other calendars

Holidays based on calendars that use both the moon and seasons, like the Hebrew calendar, can change dates every year due to an 11-day shift between the two types of calendars. Holidays based on calendars that use only the moon, like the Islamic calendar, can also change dates on the Gregorian calendar because the two calendars are not in sync.

Edited by WebCMS

Recurring events should be enhanced to be edited/saved with different dates for each year. This will allow us to just change the dates of some events for any year without having to create them from scratch laboriously which can also save a history of recurring events for each year with different dates for past/future reference. If I'm not mistaken, it overwrites the date of a recurring event when we modify its date for any year.

you could use the 'add similar event' feature baked in the event feature  for any annual event repeat

one click, change the date , all done

for public holidays you could import a ics calendar with them on

eg https://holidays.kayaposoft.com/

8 hours ago, sound said:

you could use the 'add similar event' feature baked in the event feature  for any annual event repeat

one click, change the date , all done

for public holidays you could import a ics calendar with them on

eg https://holidays.kayaposoft.com/

For a handful of events like the dozen US Holidays, this may be practicable.

However, I'm talking about literally hundreds of events every year that can have different dates each year because the cultural calendars don't sync with the Gregorian calendar.