Gallery and Forum yield a 500 error

I used the forum about an hour ago, but now, I am getting this error message:

An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.

I didn't perform anything as far as update, or installation. I just went to have dinner.

Is this something I can fix orwhat?

This is self-hosted on my own site. It is affecting both the forum and the gallery.

Posted (edited)

If your server is migrated, hopefully the host is copying everything for you including the files and database.  If not, you’ll want to make sure they get copied and the database restored. 

I would also recommend running the compatibility checker script to make sure the new server you are migrated to has all of the necessary modules etc. Finally you also want to make sure you are only running PHP 8.0 or 8.1. (There are known issues with 8.2/8.3.)

Edited by Randy Calvert

18 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

I would also recommend running the compatibility checker script to make sure the new server you are migrated to has all of the necessary modules etc. Finally you also want to make sure you are only running PHP 8.0 or 8.1. (There are known issues with 8.2/8.3.)

Yes, that is what the host ended up finding (and fixing).

10 hours ago, Jim M said:

In addition to what Randy mentioned, there may be a need to verify the details of your conf_global.php on the new server. 

Can you give me some details as to how to do that?

In addition, i found out today, that people can't post in the forum. I also tried, and strangely, it would want to add the whole current page inside the text field (similar to when I quote) but I can't get out of it or delete it. I am not sure what is happening or where to look for a potential issue/solution.

Inside of the conf_global.php file, the most important thing to check is that the MySQL database info is correct. (Database name, database user, and database user password.)

If the main site is loading and you can access the ACP and main page of the site, this will be fine as you would be erroring out if it could not connect to the DB.

After the site migrated, I would suggest going to your ACP’s support section and clearing the system cache. It’s possible one of the template cache files was corrupted in the migration. Clearing the cache will rebuild those various files.  I PERSONALLY would also try clearing my browser cache as well, but that may not be necessary. (I like to eliminate as many potential issues as possible in my troubleshooting!)

It turns out that everything is identical. My host confirmed it (with screenshot) that the previous file and the current file is the same.

14 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

If the main site is loading and you can access the ACP and main page of the site, this will be fine as you would be erroring out if it could not connect to the DB.

Yes, I can access it.

25 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

I would suggest going to your ACP’s support section and clearing the system cache.

It might sound silly but when i tried to click Support on the left pane, i was logged out, and now, I can't seem to log back in as I am getting an error about a mismatch IP. I think they are still in the process of resyncing. I'll update tomorrow.

You could also disable the IP check temporary 

to not get logged out from the ACP to clear the system cache and to be able to take a look at the system log to see what's going on.

34 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

You could also disable the IP check temporary 

I followed the instructions and ended up with a constants.php file that had this in it:

<?php

// Constants go here
define( 'BYPASS_ACP_IP_CHECK', TRUE );

I managed to log in once, but when I tried to click on Support on the left pane, I was automatically logged out and now, I can't get back as I still get that IP error message.

Is my code correct? Shouldn't there be a closing bracket somewhere?

16 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Is that file in the same folder as your conf_global.php?  Someone recently was putting that file in the wrong location a day or so ago, thus why I’m mentioning. 

Yes, i put it in the same folder. It is specified in the instructions you linked to.

You will want to check that the location which you're editing is actually the location of where your community is. The FTP access details on file are leading to a separate folder on your server named "invision". Not the one which contains the software running at your licensed URL.

When I dropped a new file into that folder, the server did not render it so this is likely an incorrect path.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

You will want to check that the location which you're editing is actually the location of where your community is. The FTP access details on file are leading to a separate folder on your server named "invision". Not the one which contains the software running at your licensed URL.

When I dropped a new file into that folder, the server did not render it so this is likely an incorrect path

Yes, everything is on that "invision" folder. Where should I check? That is the only place I have a conf_global.php file.

2 minutes ago, Carole Asselin said:

Yes, everything is on that "invision" folder. Where should I check? That is the only place I have a conf_global.php file.

You would want to contact your hosting provider to ensure that is the correct path that is running your site. As when I drop new files in there, you server is not rendering them so that would entail, that is not the correct path.

I am at the point where it SHOULD be all migrated and such. I still get that IP issue when trying to log in the backend (on Chrome).

The last tech support agent for my hosting company was less than helpful. I will try again, but would like to know, at this point, what to ask them. Since they don't typically support outside programs/services, they might not know much about Invision.

For illustration purposes, here are the two issues I am facing:

https://www.loom.com/share/380547a5bb8e42198ef06fbc236412a7?sid=c614791c-b4f4-470f-bc44-16d3bbed6868

Thank you.

Without understanding what is happening on the hosting side here, there is little we can do to correct the software, I’m afraid.

i would ask your hosting provider if your IP or path has changed in the move. You can provide them your URL to your community and your FTP access details you provided us and they should be able to tell you if those access details are to the same server and path or not. 

Thank you. I will ask that.

For the issue in posting, I noticed that even though I was logged in my site, scrolling to the very bottom (I thought there would be a "Clear window" bar), it showed me to Sign in or Sign up. I signed in, and it works now. It MIGHT be something affecting the SSO plugin. But i'll address the IP issue first.

Good news. The hosting tech support was able to read this thread and create the constant.php file for me. It turned out that the login details for Filezille I was using to upload my copy was on the "old server" which is why it was not working.

So far, I was able to log in the ACP, and post in the forum without any issue of disappearing posts.

I have to say it is hard to get help when both sides don't know/have access to the other's information but in the end, we figured things out thanks to your explanations on this thread.

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

After the site migrated, I would suggest going to your ACP’s support section and clearing the system cache. It’s possible one of the template cache files was corrupted in the migration. Clearing the cache will rebuild those various files.

I did clear the system cache, reloaded the site/forum completely, and although I am able to post, I can't "react" and I get a popup saying "Sorry there was a problem reacting to this content".

If I try to "recommend", i get a popup saying I don't have permission.

What am I missing?

Edited by Carole Asselin

18 hours ago, Carole Asselin said:

I did clear the system cache, reloaded the site/forum completely, and although I am able to post, I can't "react" and I get a popup saying "Sorry there was a problem reacting to this content".

If I try to "recommend", i get a popup saying I don't have permission.

What am I missing?

Did you recently switch to HTTPS or enable mod_security with this migration? These are the leading causes of the error with reacting. 

10 minutes ago, Carole Asselin said:

I have had https for a few years already. I never enabled anything (like mod_security). Is this something that the host would have done? Is it inside the ACP or on the hosting level?

mod_security is hosting level