Dead Links Post Migration

3 minutes ago, Jim M said:

If you changed your domain or URL, there would not be anything automatic which would update manual links inserted in posts. This would require custom intervention.

I guess my question should have been, is their any systematic correlation between the syntax of the old links and new URL?  Does the migration randomly assign new topic id's?

17 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Moving from one server to another would not change your topic IDs or data, no.

Well it is a migration from a different software, so I didn't know if there was a correlation between that syntax of the old software to the new.

11 minutes ago, Larry H said:

Well it is a migration from a different software, so I didn't know if there was a correlation between that syntax of the old software to the new.

Conversion from a different software would indeed end up with different URLs. However, we supply a redirect mechanism with that so the old software's URLs will end up at the Invision Community URLs.

21 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Conversion from a different software would indeed end up with different URLs. However, we supply a redirect mechanism with that so the old software's URLs will end up at the Invision Community URLs.

Okay, why wasn't that done during migration?

1 minute ago, Larry H said:

Okay, why wasn't that done during migration?

Do you mean why weren't the URLs updated in the content during migration? They would not be, intentionally. As this is very risky and error-prone to update existing context of content. We do redirects as this is much safer and catches everything. Therefore, if you click the old URL, you will be brought to the new one if your Invision Community exists at the same location of your domain that your previous community software did.

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

Do you mean why weren't the URLs updated in the content during migration? They would not be, intentionally. As this is very risky and error-prone to update existing context of content. We do redirects as this is much safer and catches everything. Therefore, if you click the old URL, you will be brought to the new one if your Invision Community exists at the same location of your domain that your previous community software did.

I am not sure I follow you.  When I click on an old URL, I get a message saying that the location doesn't exist.  Can you help me figure out how to fix these links?

3 minutes ago, Larry H said:

I am not sure I follow you.  When I click on an old URL, I get a message saying that the location doesn't exist.  Can you help me figure out how to fix these links?

Please supply a link to a topic on your Invision Community instance which has an old URL to your previous software in it and we can certainly assist.

Looking at your community URL right away, I do see that you are using a "new" subdomain so this would not be at the same place as your previous community on your domain most likely. That would be why the redirect is not working.

2 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Please supply a link to a topic on your Invision Community instance which has an old URL to your previous software in it and we can certainly assist.

Looking at your community URL right away, I do see that you are using a "new" subdomain so this would not be at the same place as your previous community on your domain most likely. That would be why the redirect is not working.

Okay but I must warn you.  Our "Old Forum" is only visible to our "Members"

https://new.afcaforum.com/index.php?/topic/55534-carleton-six-inch-bracket-fan/#comment-473956

4 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Would review what I mentioned in my quoted text here 🙂 

1 minute ago, Larry H said:

This is exactly the problem. Your old software is is at the root domain and your Invision Community software is at a sub-domain so they are pointed to two separate spots. The redirect won't happen till you move Invision Community to your root.

You would also need to be converting from a software which we support redirects on. You can see this at: https://invisioncommunity.com/services/convert/

6 minutes ago, Jim M said:

This is exactly the problem. Your old software is is at the root domain and your Invision Community software is at a sub-domain so they are pointed to two separate spots. The redirect won't happen till you move Invision Community to your root.

You would also need to be converting from a software which we support redirects on. You can see this at: https://invisioncommunity.com/services/convert/

How would we do that?

Just now, Larry H said:

How would we do that?

That would something your hosting provider can assist you with. The basics would be found here on how to move Invision Community from one server to another but the same principles can be used to move between folders on the same server.

56 minutes ago, Jim M said:

That would something your hosting provider can assist you with. The basics would be found here on how to move Invision Community from one server to another but the same principles can be used to move between folders on the same server.

Thanks Jim.  I will see what I can do with them.