constants.php on hosted and localhost question

galenb

I've been wanting to learn about Dev Mode etc. So I have been building a localhost site on my dev box.

Windows 10 with IIS 10.0

MySql 8.0.28

PHP 8.1.22

I've spent several hours moving the code and the DB over from  my hosted test site and finally did a full install of IPS 4.7.13 and that helped a lot but still couldn't everything to work then I ran the checker again and it asked me to create a constants.php file.

<?php
define( 'TEMP_DIRECTORY', dirname( __FILE__ ) . '/uploads' );

This was the final key to what looks to be a fully working localhost test environment. But I am puzzled.

I don't find a constants.php file on my working hosted site.

Does something else take the place of this.... I'm searching a reading for constants.php in the forums... I guess I just wanted to take the easy route this time.

I did create one... and it did work... I was just trying to understand why? it works. I've been a software developer for like 20 years... but I've worked on the kind of software that you need to know why everything works like it does because the customers had low tolerance for not knowing why something didn't work but they always wanted to know why a change made something work when it didn't before. Why is it needed in one environment and not in the other.

Non sibi sed patriae

Edited by galenb

So do we know what defines the constants or where constants are defined on the hosted environment since there is no constants.php. Does the installer use "something" else... I checked HTACCESS... didn't see anything there. It doesn't matter really... I'm getting my PHP debugging environment set up and then I'll figure it out. I always figure stuff out. Thanks for your time!

Edited by galenb