Legend Styler - Downloads [Support Topic]

Legend Styler - Downloads is an advanced plugin, to modify and re-design everything about IPS Downloads app. in 3 area: Download app's FrontPage, Category view and File view, there are dozens of option to style and redesign different sections. from "Featured Downloads" box, "What's new", "Highest Rated" and "Most Downloaded" boxes in FrontPage, to category view and finally for file view, there are options to change how generally your download hub can be looks.

Areas and options:

• Download app FrontPage:
    • "Featured Downloads" box: 2 different "Theme" (Story view and Tile view) > each theme have their own inside settings.
    • "What's new", "Highest Rated" and "Most Downloaded" boxes: each one 3 different "Theme" (Grid, Tile, List) > each theme have their own inside settings.
  • Download app Category pages: 3 different "Theme" (Grid, Tile, List) > each theme have their own inside settings
  • Download app File view: 2 different "Theme" > each theme have their own inside settings

There are dozens of style options and combinations to make Downloads app areas look unique and fresh.

Requirement:

• Invision Download app

Please use this topic for support and ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this and it was an immediate purchase for me.  I already love legends blocks and everything you've done so far. My site is based very heavily on the downloads section.  I have already installed this and starting to mess around with it.  I love the look and layout already!  Very excited to see what my members have to say about it.

I'm afraid to do the suggested template updates, but may give that a try here in a few.

My favorite File view by far is Custom1. Love the look and feel of it.  There are a couple suggestions that I'd love to see if possible.

Suggestion 1:
Would it be possible to have the primary show as a larger image above the other screenshots? Perhaps something like this?

Could contain: Arcade Game Machine, Game, Person

Suggestion 2:
I'm not a fan of is how the additional info/extra fields are currently displayed.  Especially when there is a URL or longer text, multiple selection, etc. Perhaps allow another block on the right above "About this File" that pulls the Extra Fields into an easier view.

Suggestion 3:
I don't see a way to use/add tags or where tags would be displayed.  Please allow the use of tags as a lot of us build dynamic content from them.

Issues:
Long filenames seem to throw off the template if the file on the cat display is the 4th in the row. Seems to only happen when using Tiles.

Could contain: Art, Collage, Stained Glass

Grid view images are really squished and blury:
Could contain: Slot, Game, Gambling

Also, I use a app called "Tip Me" that allows users to tip the file author... This puts a buton on the template that takes the user to a paypal/donation screen. Or is there something easy that can be done to get these two apps/plugins to work nicely with eachother?  I've already messaged the author of that application, but this is how I think that should look with your downloads styler.

Could contain: File, Webpage, Mobile Phone, Phone, Electronics, Text

Edited by Dazz
13 hours ago, Dazz said:

Suggestion 1:
Would it be possible to have the primary show as a larger image above the other screenshots? Perhaps something like this?

Could contain: Arcade Game Machine, Game, Person

Hello,

Thanks for suggestions, ideas and reports. about first suggestion, primary image already is on display separately from other images next to file name and byline area. not sure why we need to display primary image second time in there. also design suggestion you have posted here is just not looks good.

13 hours ago, Dazz said:

Suggestion 2:
I'm not a fan of is how the additional info/extra fields are currently displayed.  Especially when there is a URL or longer text, multiple selection, etc. Perhaps allow another block on the right above "About this File" that pulls the Extra Fields into an easier view.

You can display extra field in different places. templates support positioning options from extra fields.

Could contain: Text, Night, Outdoors, Nature, Page

For links it probably better to choose bellow the description or tab. sidebar area like the original design, better to be reserved for field with smaller contents.

13 hours ago, Dazz said:

Suggestion 3:
I don't see a way to use/add tags or where tags would be displayed.  Please allow the use of tags as a lot of us build dynamic content from them.

Thanks for report. will be fix in next update.

13 hours ago, Dazz said:

Issues:
Long filenames seem to throw off the template if the file on the cat display is the 4th in the row. Seems to only happen when using Tiles.

Could contain: Art, Collage, Stained Glass

This is grid view. I will address this as well.

13 hours ago, Dazz said:

Grid view images are really squished and blury:
Could contain: Slot, Game, Gambling

Most of these screenshots shows images that being selected as primary, is either have low quality or narrow images that being stretched out in new designs. I can make it better with some new options but my suggestion is for new templates, use better quality primary images. primary images in Download app original design usually have limited use and mostly in thumb sizes. however new designs with this plugin use them in a big way, large and styled.

13 hours ago, Dazz said:

Also, I use a app called "Tip Me" that allows users to tip the file author... This puts a buton on the template that takes the user to a paypal/donation screen. Or is there something easy that can be done to get these two apps/plugins to work nicely with eachother?  I've already messaged the author of that application, but this is how I think that should look with your downloads styler.

Could contain: File, Webpage, Mobile Phone, Phone, Electronics, Text

I don't have access to codes for this resource, and seems can be done as a custom job.

12 hours ago, Dazz said:

Featured really distorts images. I think it may be better to see just a portion of the screenshot instead of a full distorted image.

Could contain: Arcade Game Machine, Game

Yes this is one of the example for a need to select better primary images. Also I have some Ideas for this and your previous suggestion about display big primary image separately. it is going to be started in File View with optional choices:

What image be use next to file name and byline: primary image (current design) or first uploaded image (new option) // with this, it is possible to always use first uploaded image as the file "icon". primary image can be reserve to select for a bigger and good quality image that can be use in listing pages like category view or download homepage. additionally with first uploaded image (new option) active, primary image can have it's own setting to be display in above the other screenshots or in file description above the content.

11 hours ago, Dazz said:

Don't know if this is an oversight or not, but this also changes the look of the Files from Member profile. I personally liked the older view on this specific page.

Could contain: File, Webpage

Invision doesn't have files tab in profile pages, so it seems work of a third party resource? in any case, this template seems using default design for category view items, which is now changed in tile view. so display them as tiles is normal, however it can be display normal and just like in download pages. it probably fixable if I could see this page live. if you want you can link this here or in a PM to me.

Edited by shahed

Hello, 

Thank you for addressing my questions!  I absolutely love this plugin.... I shouldn't say this, but this plugin is something that I would have gladly been willing to pay more for.  This does a lot and really changes the overall look and feel of the IPS Downloads.   

27 minutes ago, shahed said:

Thanks for suggestions, ideas and reports. about first suggestion, primary image already is on display separately from other images next to file name and byline area. not sure why we need to display primary image second time in there. also design suggestion you have posted here is just not looks good.

My apologies... I suck with design, so my example isn't the best.  Was just an idea of having a larger primary image or something.

31 minutes ago, shahed said:

You can display extra field in different places. templates support positioning options from extra fields.

Could contain: Text, Night, Outdoors, Nature, Page

For links it probably better to choose bellow the description or tab. sidebar area like the original design, better to be reserved for field with smaller contents.

This one took me a while to find where this was. I finally found the settings for the Extra Fields... I guess I need to be real selective with what field goes in what position. I'll have to play around with this more... I really don't like how "In a separate tab" works... especially if you have several.

34 minutes ago, shahed said:

Most of these screenshots shows images that being selected as primary, is either have low quality or narrow images that being stretched out in new designs. I can make it better with some new options but my suggestion is for new templates, use better quality primary images. primary images in Download app original design usually have limited use and mostly in thumb sizes. however new designs with this plugin use them in a big way, large and styled.

The screenshots we use are actually fairly big and high quality.  Not sure what you mean by narrow, but the images we use are anything but narrow. The primary screenshots in my example above are roughly 900x650px or so. The tiles are actually trying to take the image and squish it into the template.

43 minutes ago, shahed said:

Yes this is one of the example for a need to select better primary images. Also I have some Ideas for this and your previous suggestion about display big primary image separately. it is going to be started in File View with optional choices:

That primary image is actually 1333x1080px at 96dpi. It doesn't seem to be a quality of the image issue.

45 minutes ago, shahed said:

What image be use next to file name and byline: primary image (current design) or first uploaded image (new option) // with this, it is possible to always use first uploaded image as the file "icon". primary image can be reserve to select for a bigger and good quality image that can be use in listing pages like category view or download homepage. additionally with first uploaded image (new option) active, primary image can have it's own setting to be display in above the other screenshots or in file description above the content.

Thank you for your consideration of my suggestions! 

47 minutes ago, shahed said:

Invision doesn't have files tab in profile pages, so it seems work of a third party resource? it probably fixable if I could see this page live. if you want you can link this here or in a PM to me.

You are correct. It looks like this is an application called "FILES TAB ON USER PROFILE" by Adriano Faria. My users use this quite often as it's a really easy way to find files that another user has posted. I will PM you some live test credentials for my site that you can click around with and see how things look. 

One more question... Hopefully an easy one... Is there an easy way to change the lenght of the "About This File" section? As in the length that section displays before it needs the scroll?

7 hours ago, Dazz said:

Hello, 

Thank you for addressing my questions!  I absolutely love this plugin.... I shouldn't say this, but this plugin is something that I would have gladly been willing to pay more for.  This does a lot and really changes the overall look and feel of the IPS Downloads.   

My apologies... I suck with design, so my example isn't the best.  Was just an idea of having a larger primary image or something.

This one took me a while to find where this was. I finally found the settings for the Extra Fields... I guess I need to be real selective with what field goes in what position. I'll have to play around with this more... I really don't like how "In a separate tab" works... especially if you have several.

The screenshots we use are actually fairly big and high quality.  Not sure what you mean by narrow, but the images we use are anything but narrow. The primary screenshots in my example above are roughly 900x650px or so. The tiles are actually trying to take the image and squish it into the template.

That primary image is actually 1333x1080px at 96dpi. It doesn't seem to be a quality of the image issue.

Thank you for your consideration of my suggestions! 

You are correct. It looks like this is an application called "FILES TAB ON USER PROFILE" by Adriano Faria. My users use this quite often as it's a really easy way to find files that another user has posted. I will PM you some live test credentials for my site that you can click around with and see how things look. 

One more question... Hopefully an easy one... Is there an easy way to change the lenght of the "About This File" section? As in the length that section displays before it needs the scroll?

I review suggestions and try to implement them those that works in future updates. about extra fields, I should perhaps noted that those options can be select in create/edit extra fields itself. also about image sizes, 1333x1080px or even 900x650px is pretty much good and quality images will be better in next update. my assumption came from that there were a screenshot you send for single out the primary image, and that sample looks narrow there. lastly for length of the "About This File" I will add plugin option for it in next update 👍

Hello Shahed,

Got another suggestion... Is there somthing that could be done to alert that there is an update pending approval on the file view?

There is something on the dropdown menu, but I wouldn't have known to check/approve without going into the ModCD to do approvals.  The default IPS Downloads shows a banner at the top indicating that there is a new file pending approval. It would be nice to be able to see that there is a new version that is pending approval right on the file view for usergroups that have the ability to approve new versions.

Could contain: Monitor, Screen, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Electronics, Pc, Mobile Phone, Phone, Text, Page

Could contain: File, Webpage, Pc, Electronics, Computer, Monitor, Screen, Hardware, Computer Hardware

1 hour ago, Dazz said:

Hello Shahed,

Got another suggestion... Is there somthing that could be done to alert that there is an update pending approval on the file view?

There is something on the dropdown menu, but I wouldn't have known to check/approve without going into the ModCD to do approvals.  The default IPS Downloads shows a banner at the top indicating that there is a new file pending approval. It would be nice to be able to see that there is a new version that is pending approval right on the file view for usergroups that have the ability to approve new versions.

Could contain: Monitor, Screen, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Electronics, Pc, Mobile Phone, Phone, Text, Page

Could contain: File, Webpage, Pc, Electronics, Computer, Monitor, Screen, Hardware, Computer Hardware

Hello,

Thanks for the report. it is already fixed for next update. along with tags and prefixes. 👍

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Sirmadsen said:

Any plans on adding option to show prefixes on category view?

Let me edit that. Any plans on making prefixes show on all themes and styles maybe via an option?

Also, any plans on making an option to choose how many items are shown? Since changing "Number of item per line" will make grids have an uneven number.

12 hours ago, Sirmadsen said:

Any plans on adding option to show prefixes on category view?

12 hours ago, Sirmadsen said:

Let me edit that. Any plans on making prefixes show on all themes and styles maybe via an option?

Also, any plans on making an option to choose how many items are shown? Since changing "Number of item per line" will make grids have an uneven number.

Hi, some of themes like List have prefix support. this is because large space they have. adding that in smaller templates like grids ... can be tricky. but in any case i will look into it. 👍

11 hours ago, Sirmadsen said:

And... I really like the list view. Any chance there could be an option to show that in a row of 2 and/or 3? Having a wide layout would benefit from this.

Which list view? there are number of variables, so specific could help.

22 minutes ago, shahed said:

Which list view? there are number of variables, so specific could help.

In Category Pages we can choose "List" under Categories Theme. I have a very wide layout so there is a lot of dead space and the page becomes very long when having the default 25 items in downloads. I liked that theme the most due to its clean looks and simple layout. Everything just looks great and prefixes works.

Would be great to have an option to be able to have two rows but in List theme.

Could contain: Page, Text, Pc, Electronics, Computer, Monitor, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Screen, Laptop

Also, bug reports.

In File Page > Custom View 2, title doesn't seem to have a line break resulting in very long titles overlapping the download button.

File Page > Custom View 1 breaks when theme is to narrow. It's almost as it goes in to mobile view as soon as the window is not wide enough, but to soon. Maybe a template mistake?

As you can see from image 1, that is normal view, web browser fully maximized. And in image 2, the browser is windowed but almost full width, so the theme breaks way to early (I use the sidebar option).

And in default IPS theme it's broken from start with default width values, image 3. Maybe it's supposed to be used without a sidebar? In which case will be a problem for those of us using ads in sidebar.

Thanks for a great plugin so far, looking forward to updates and further improvements.

Image 1 Image2 Image 3

19 minutes ago, Sirmadsen said:

In Category Pages we can choose "List" under Categories Theme. I have a very wide layout so there is a lot of dead space and the page becomes very long when having the default 25 items in downloads. I liked that theme the most due to its clean looks and simple layout. Everything just looks great and prefixes works.

Would be great to have an option to be able to have two rows but in List theme.

Will work on it 👍

21 minutes ago, Sirmadsen said:

Also, bug reports.

In File Page > Custom View 2, title doesn't seem to have a line break resulting in very long titles overlapping the download button.

File Page > Custom View 1 breaks when theme is to narrow. It's almost as it goes in to mobile view as soon as the window is not wide enough, but to soon. Maybe a template mistake?

As you can see from image 1, that is normal view, web browser fully maximized. And in image 2, the browser is windowed but almost full width, so the theme breaks way to early (I use the sidebar option).

And in default IPS theme it's broken from start with default width values, image 3. Maybe it's supposed to be used without a sidebar? In which case will be a problem for those of us using ads in sidebar.

Thanks for the report. i will look into these as well.

21 minutes ago, Sirmadsen said:

Thanks for a great plugin so far, looking forward to updates and further improvements.

Sure. glad you liked it 👍

New version for this resource has been accepted recently.

Changelog for 1.1.1

• Add new option: Category view > Display prefixes
  • Add new option: Category view > Theme: List > Display two item per line
  • Add new option: File view > Simplify submitter links
  • Add new feature: File view now fully support widgets in both Custom theme 1 and 2 via widget manager
  • Fixed bug regarding File view > Custom theme 2 > long titles overlapping the download button
  • Fixed bug regarding File view > Custom theme 2 > container boxes now fit to sides in chrome
  • Fixed bug regarding File view > Custom theme 1 > colliding boxes may break in certain desktop screen resolutions

Most important feature with this update is now both File View themes can accept sidebar widgets. Demo with theme 1.

Edited by shahed