Gallery Utility?

SMen

Is there perhaps a utility to Repair/Rebuild Categories and Albums?

I recall such a utility used to exist in long ago versions.  I am experiencing viewing issues returning white pages and 502 errors on many categories.

I have a very large gallery.  Thousands of categories and albums.  I have deleted and reloaded one large category with multiple sub-categories, but doing so loses all comments, reviews etc.  I tried creating a new structure and moving the images there, but deleting old category and move to new category....  problem followed.

Utility, help, thoughts?  This became an issue when moving site to a new server.

Thanks

If you are experiencing issues like that, a rebuild is not what will be causing you problems. Could you please provide me with an example like? Also, please check your server error logs, as a white page would indicate you have issues which are being logged there

Hi Marc,

I thought there would be an error/system log entry.  Users reported the issue to me, so I tested from the Admin login and received the same results.  Cleared caches, checked system, permissions, etc....  Absolutely nothing in the error log with my IP address.  No entries with today's date in system log.

Choose a category, click right arrow to next image.  Varies the number of clicks before screen turns white.  Then site needs to be reloaded.  

The new categories I created do not seem to be having the issue.  Though, they did when I chose to move the images from the old category to the new category.  This is why I suspected that perhaps there was an issue that a rebuild would fix.  There is a slight naming difference on the server structure, but not on the site structure.

What form of example would assist you?

Thanks

A 502 error, I'm afraid, would not allow the software to function thus not appear in our software's system log. The 502 is coming from your server so you would need to look for logs there.

We would require a URL to the area in question and a member id of who is experiencing this.

Okay, I will check the server logs and see if something stands out and then let you know...

Strange that a category with 5000 images has an issue, but when re-created and images re-uploaded, it works fine.  Perhaps some strange permission issue between the original FTP transfer and the current upload.  But then you would think it would effect all, but it is not.

2 minutes ago, SMen said:

Okay, I will check the server logs and see if something stands out and then let you know...

Strange that a category with 5000 images has an issue, but when re-created and images re-uploaded, it works fine.  Perhaps some strange permission issue between the original FTP transfer and the current upload.  But then you would think it would effect all, but it is not.

It would be something specific here which is why we require the server error log entry. Please let us know once you have it.

4 minutes ago, SMen said:

Is there an article/FAQ on optimal PHP settings?

You would want to work with your hosting provider or server administrator to review your server's performance, traffic, resources, etc... We provide only minimal requirements and anything additional, I'm afraid, would be widely variable due to traffic, content, third party integrations, etc... A server administrator will then be able to have your server optimally performing for what is being executed on it.

I see...  well, thank you for pointing me in the right direction.  The two settings I changed appear to have fixed the problem.  Since I manage my own server, I am certain that the changes I make *actually* affect my site, whereas when I had a managed server, making changes may or may not have really had an effect.