ips killing my server

SBCommunity
Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

hi

so i upgraded to ips 4.6 back in october and since then we've gotten occasional spikes to cpu usage tied to multiple sql statements being executed at once

we just had one for 15 minutes today tied to these statements:

IPS\Content\_Comment::getItemsWithPermission:232*/ SELECT COUNT(*) as cnt FROM `l

IPS\Content\Search\_Results::count:532*/ SELECT COUNT(*) FROM 'core_search'

this is what i could get from the process list, and the first statement showed up twice. while those were running, cpu usage increased from where it generally is under 20% to as high as 105% during the spike, effectively rendering my ips forum inaccessible.

how do i keep this from happening again? ty

I would suggest having your hosting provider take a look at what is causing the issue here. They have the tools to troubleshoot performance issues on your server. If you have any logs which indicate more of a software issue, we can take a look at those after your hosting provider investigates.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 4:48 PM, Jim M said:

I would suggest having your hosting provider take a look at what is causing the issue here. They have the tools to troubleshoot performance issues on your server. If you have any logs which indicate more of a software issue, we can take a look at those after your hosting provider investigates.

I've troubleshooted the performance issues and I believe they're caused whenever a user does a search, since our forum is so large now that it requires more capability than my server currently has to query the posts table. Is there a way to disable search temporality so I can confirm whether or not it's causing the slowdowns?

• Solution
4 minutes ago, John Manigo said:

I've troubleshooted the performance issues and I believe they're caused whenever a user does a search, since our forum is so large now that it requires more capability than my server currently has to query the posts table. Is there a way to disable search temporality so I can confirm whether or not it's causing the slowdowns?

Yes, you can go to ACP -> System -> Applications -> expand system, on Search click permissions and remove permissions to all groups.