[Pages] format upload field content as thumbnails

CSS question, mostly, probably.

I'm struggling with Pages custom formatting for a database field that will receive PDF and/or image uploads (multiple). I'd like any uploaded images to display as thumbnails around 100px or so. The hint text for Custom advises:  "If using multiple uploads, $value is an array of File Objects." Sadly I don't have any idea how to make that information actionable 😛 

I have tried using one of the predefined label:value badges and that does a nearly-useful thing of providing a colorized field name and wee tiny thumbnails. I'd be willing to live with that if need be but I can't seem to arrive at the correct combination/order of selectors to embiggen the thumbnails.  Browser inspector lets me tinker such that .ipsBadge img.ipsImage {max-width:100px; max-height:100px} does the necessary, but I can't seem to express that as CSS that I can add to the page.css for that particular database. 

I eventually found a successful declaration to force the badge approach.

.ipsBadge img.ipsImage {max-width:100px !important; max-height:100px !important}

I'd still be interested in how to use the Custom formatting  option (directly in the field setup) to address the array.

Edited by bradl